Worried about my broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Biddieacres, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I am worried because I realize they only get up once a day to eat and drink, but is that enough? I have never seen her get up even once in days. I keep the water out in the run. Is that OK or should I move it inside near her?

Thanks for any input!

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I think she will be fine. Mine did not get up everyday. I put water and a small bowl of food right outside her nest, so she could get it easily. While they were hatching I would hold the water for her, since they dont get up at all on those days, and we had a very long hatch.

But anyway, i dont think they will starve themselvesd to death. If you are really worried about her, you could always put it right in her nest box where she can reach it, but she might spill it. Besides, you want her getting up once in a while to poop, so I really think it would be better not to.

They re-ingest all the eggs that were forming inside of them once they stop laying. That gives them a lot of nourishment for the first days.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hens do lose weight when brooding. Some feel it is best to remove them from the nest once or twice a day til they eat, drink and poop. Trouble is, we are not there 24/7 so really don't know they have or have not been up.

I took mine out twice a day. Did not interfere with the hatch. Personal choice.

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ok thanks. I think I will try that tomorrow. She puffs up when I go near her but I will try to lift her out of the nest anyway.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine is in a broody box and has plenty of room to get up to eat and drink. She always gets up when i check on her because I bring her a little treat. Some sunflower seeds, a couple grapes. Shes doing a good job and should start hatching tomorrow [​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe a treat would encourage her.

6. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I separated mine form the rest - but took her off 1 x day to poop, dust bath and stretch
    she had water and food with in reach of the nest and all went well with the hatch

god luck [​IMG]

7. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I think the chickens know best. If they don't want to get up, why would you make them? I've had broody hens several times and haven't had a single one die from malnutrition! I finally let one hatch some out and they are doing great. They'll get up if they want to.

8. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I would trust the hen also. If you are worried, offer her food and water by the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by