Worried about my broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    My broody is on day 18. I haven't seen her get off her eggs in 2 days. It's 98 today and will be 100 tomorrow. The coop is in the shade but I'm still worried. I brought her some water today and got her to drink it. Does she know she's nearing hatch time and that's why she won't get off? She used to get off once a day like clock work. And if nothing hatches what do I do?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I haven't had a broody yet, but from what I've read, it's normal at the end for them to not get off the nest. Can you put water right next to the nest, so she can still drink without getting off the nest?

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    My broody just finished hatching hers in near constant 100 degree weather.We keep fans on 24/7 in our chicken barns so she had some hot but moving air.She actually started getting off the eggs more on day 18 and as soon as a few hatched she pretty much left the other eggs most of the day and still had 10 of 12 chicks the other 2 got their eggs crushed after they began zipping.I kept telling her she could take a break all day and the eggs would be fine but she never did.Our 10th baby was a full day and a half behind the other chicks so give your hen more time chances are you will have this soon
    [​IMG]

4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Your hen's put herself into "lockdown" the last 3 days. That's why she won't get off. First, if it's the beginning of lockdown, Day 19, you could take her off for 5 -10 minutes to let her poop/eat/drink one more time...after all, the eggs won't get cold, nor dry out! If you don't do that, you could mist her head & saddle with a water bottle a few times, and dunk her beak in a small dish of water, to keep cool. Don't move her nest anywhere at this point, except out of the sun.
    If nothing hatches by Day 23, and in this summer heat, remove her from the nest box, don't let her in, and put her in a wire cage or cool p[lace somewhere to break her, just because it could do her damage to stay in one place not drinking or eating for so long in summer.
    Of course, I'm speaking from experience with my one broody, who hatched out two a couple weeks ago... her one egg didn't hatch, so on day 23 I quick ran to a neighbor for her pipped eggs, btw [​IMG]

She'll accept a 1-3-day-old chick put under her at night, if her egg doesn't hatch, also.

Also, regarding the heat, look in on her frequently, and if you never see he panting, she's likely not overheated, because she's not been eating much and is very still, so her metabolism is much slower.
    A laying hen is frequently hot over 85F, because the egg trapped inside her before laying causes more heat to accumulate in her body. Her metabolism is fairly fast when laying, too, in order to digest & turn nutrients into eggs.

My mama hen was not panting this week, 95 & humid for days now, but my layers were.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hey, is that a leghorn? i've never heard of one getting broody- the breed has had all broodiness insticts bred out of it for better commercial production as an egg-production only breed. i'm surpised she didn't quit one you....

anyway, yeah it's perfectly normal for a broody to stay on her nest for the last couple of days. give her some feed and water in her nest or even bring her inside where it's cooler if your worried.

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the advice. I will try to get her to eat something tomorrow. Anytime I bring food in the coop the rats return, and I'm worried the rats will kill the chicks if any hatch. Hopefully her eggs will start hatching tomorrow - at least then I know she'll be able to stop brooding soon. She's a big brahma, I'm hoping she doesn't crush them!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

For my Buffy, I moved a chick waterer within five inches of her nest, and a dish of chick starter with some BOSS in it (for her, specifically). I also brought her some shredded Monterey Jack cheese, which she DID take from my hand immediately. It was hot as You Know Where in that coop! She didn't get out the last two days, either.

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I was very hot here and mine did just fine. A few times I would check on her, she was just standing above them. Don't worry . I bet everything will be just fine.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I got eggs to hatch with it 114 outside and almost that hot in the coop.

I put a little cup in one corner of the nest with ice water and another cup in the other corner with layer and scratch. She ate both and drank from the cup I was so amazed that the eggs made it.

10. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    This is good to hear, I'm hopeful things will go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by