worried about my chick

bucky1198

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
colorado
i have a two week old chick don't know what breed but it is not growing like the others (35 alltogether) I noticed today that it has no feathers on it butt and its vent is sticking out and it has a white discharge oozing out of it very worried

I'm not an expert, but I'll give you a reply here to bump your post and try and get some others responding.
best of luck....

Sounds like Vent Gleet:also known as cloacitis or thrush or mycosis, is an uncommon condition in young and adult birds. It is an avian yeast infection that can attack the whole digestive system from beak to vent, and also effect the reproductive system. It's usually caused by eating moldy food. It is sometimes confused with pasted vent, which is not caused by an infectious agent, and is common with chicks, but rare in adults.

Birds can show some or all of the following symptoms:

* Depression
* Loss of energy
* Rough feathers
* Diarrhea
* Distended sour crop
* Slow growth
* Weight loss
* Decreased hunger and increased thirst
* Soiled vent feathers
* White sores near the vent
* Loss of feathers near the vent
* Reddened or swollen vent tissue
* Gray powdery or black waxy substances on the vent
* Very bad smelling droppings
* Patches in the throat that look like yeast or wax
* Unexplained laying problems
* Swollen vent

Treatment
*laxatives is to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, in this case yeast.
***Molasses***Put a little in one pint of water and have this their only source of water to drink....It will help act as a laxative and if they are also constipated...it will help this too.
***Epsom Salt and Caster oil also act as a laxative ***

Internal Anti-fungals
***Copper Sulfate: Sometimes used as a follow-up treatment after flushing with a laxative. Dissolve 1 oz copper sulfate and 1 tablespoon of vinegar into 15 gallons water. Use as the sole water source during the course of the disease outbreak.
***Nystatin: 62.5-250 mg nystatin and 7.8-25 mg sodium lauryl sulfate per liter of water for 5 days.
*** Can also use the same medicine that you use to treat a women's yeast infevtion

Probiotics
***Probiotics are live beneficial gut bacteria that occur naturally in all animal digestive tracts. Various probiotics are in yogurt, liquid human probiotic solutions, or powdered livestock probiotics. If you specifically want to prevent thrush, use a probiotic that contains both Acidophilus and B. bifidum.

Acidify the water using apple cider vinegar (2 to 4 tablespoons vinegar per gallon of water) to inhibit yeast growth and up to 1 Tbsp live-culture yogurt per bird.

Best Wishes,
Laura

I looked at the rest of my chicks and didn't see any signs so I took some pics. thanks for the help
97073_2011-07-10_213222.jpg

97073_2011-07-10_213233.jpg

Back
Top Bottom