1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worried about my chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 16, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    why is my chicks butt nasty? is this a bad thing?
    [​IMG]

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, that is a bad thing. You need to get the dried on poo off with a warm, wet paper towel. You might have to put the little chick's butt down in a bowl of warm water to get it clean. She can die from having pasty butt.

3. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    after i clean it will she be ok?

4. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    We have found that butt paste is a normal thing for very young chicks. In most cases, cleaning it off does the trick but in some cases if not found early enough it could cause them to die. I guess they get poisons not getting it out. Like Wildflower said get a warm cloth/paper towel and get it moistened and get it off of them. May need to soak it in warm water to get it off. You may end up pulling some fluff out as well. Watch them afterwards as they may start to peck each other on the bottom from if they loose fluff. Don't want them to start eating each other.
    Check them daily for a few weeks. Shouldn't last long and then they should stop having the paste.
    Now in some rare cases, the paste is an indication of a disease but if you are not seeing death throughout I am sure it is simply butt paste and needs to be cleaned off.
    Good luck and enjoy them!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You will have to clean her off several times a day until she stops pasting up. Giving the chicks some play sand in the brooder helps a lot.

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    You need to check her, and any other chicks you have EVERY DAY.

A lot of times pasty butt comes from changing their food or having the temp too high in the brooder. 95 degrees in the brooder should be fine but if it spikes the poo dries right when it comes out.

Good Luck

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    After you clean the chick's butt (till the vent is clean and "winking") you can apply some olive oil to the area with a Q-Tip to keep the poo from sticking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by