Worried about my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hcwiii007, Mar 31, 2015.

1. hcwiii007

hcwiii007 New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    3 months ago we rescued a chicken that had fallen from one of the slaughter trucks. Brought her home, gave her a bath, made a bed in the garage and named her Highway. Her coop is nearly completed, she is laying an egg every day and a half, and now she has developed a balance problem. When she lays down she extends a leg to one side. When she walks, she puts her wings out to keep her balance. She's eating, drinking, and still laying, but she doesn't walk. We have a short video but not sure how to post it. We would apprieate any and all advice from the experts at Backyardchicken.com

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. hcwiii007

hcwiii007 New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    She is steadily getting worse. She is having difficulty getting to food and water. Her wings are extended even when she lays. It has not affected her appetite. she laid an egg day before yesterday so she's not egg bound. Anyone?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wish there was more you could do for her than place her food and water close to her, but if it is Mareks, there is no treatment that has been shown to help. Many give St. Johns Wort or herbs such as tumeric or garlic, and although there is no harm in using them in small amounts, I know of no other treatment, but giving supportive care.

5. NicoleD

NicoleD New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Have you checked with a vet in reference to vestibular disease? I know some animals such as dogs get it which obstructs their balance but not sure if it's common with chickens. I hope she gets well soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by