Worried about my Daisy Duck. (French white Muscovy)

MommaDuck78

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
My baby girl Daisy is learning. She gave me one full clutch of eggs and her second clutch of eggs she decided she was going to sit. I let her sit on four eggs, but on day 4, she pooped on the eggs, got up to take a bath in the pool, then went back to her nest and pushed each egg down the ramp of the duck house that I built. Her third clutch of eggs she decided to sit again so I let her have five eggs. She has done so well and I've been so proud of her because she has sat the whole time getting up to poop outside of the nest, take a bath and then get back on the nest. Today is day 37. On day 34 I found shells in her water bowl and assumed she found an egg that wasn't fertilized. But then on day 35 I found a duckling in her water bowl. Still in the fetal position, eyes not open as if it did not hatch, but seemed fully developed and she knew maybe that it was not alive. Then on Day 36 I found remnants of shell in her water bowl and a dead ducklings still in the fetal position next to the water bowl. This morning I found the same thing. 3 ducklings, 3 days in a row still in the fetal position as if she knew they were dead and ate the shell to dispose of the duckling??? Why do I have three dead ducklings in a row who seem to be fully developed.... this past week we did have a very hot week, hotter than normal for this town and she didn't get off of the eggs very much and I'm wondering is it possible that the babies were cooked??? I'm worried about her and she only has one egg left under her on day 37 after one egg that wasn't fertilized and three fully develops ducklings in the last 3 days dead... Has it been too hot for her? Is she still learning how to regulate the temperature? She is just a year old..... Help... I'm so sad for her....

Attachments

• 136689.jpg
    136689.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 42
What did the egg shells look like, exactly? It's sounding like they hatched and then drowned. 😞

Edit: pics would help a lot.

Edit again: I don't know where you're located but I'm in southern Louisiana where it gets sweltering hot and have many scovies sitting, successfully hatching out 20 eggs at a time. Don't think the heat would cause much issue.

What did the egg shells look like, exactly? It's sounding like they hatched and then drowned. 😞

Edit again: I don't know where you're located but I'm in southern Louisiana where it gets sweltering hot and have many scovies sitting, successfully hatching out 20 eggs at a time. Don't think the heat would cause much issue.
unfortunately I didn't take pictures of how I found the ducklings, but only one of them was in the water bowl. I didn't think that they had hatched because they were still in the fetal position with their eyes closed as if Mama opened up the egg. The eggs were not dark or black. and after I found the first one in the water bowl I took her bowl away overnight. Next night and still found a dead duckling in the fetal position so then I gave her her bowl back and the following day we had the third duckling only the first one was in the water bowl. I had another Muscovy sit and all her eggs went black and she kicked them out one by one also with a few ducklings. One was underdeveloped and two looked fully developed for the most part as far as I know. But like I said her eggs looked black or really dark like they were bad but Daisy's were of normal color still. I need to check on her this morning and see if that last egg is still intact today is day 38. So sad for her. Ugh

unfortunately I didn't take pictures of how I found the ducklings, but only one of them was in the water bowl. I didn't think that they had hatched because they were still in the fetal position with their eyes closed as if Mama opened up the egg. The eggs were not dark or black. and after I found the first one in the water bowl I took her bowl away overnight. Next night and still found a dead duckling in the fetal position so then I gave her her bowl back and the following day we had the third duckling only the first one was in the water bowl. I had another Muscovy sit and all her eggs went black and she kicked them out one by one also with a few ducklings. One was underdeveloped and two looked fully developed for the most part as far as I know. But like I said her eggs looked black or really dark like they were bad but Daisy's were of normal color still. I need to check on her this morning and see if that last egg is still intact today is day 38. So sad for her. Ugh

oh oh also Daisy ate most of the shows that were in the water bowl there were just a few pieces here and there of the second and third egg the first egg half of the shell was intact in the water bowl. I've seen that when they get rid of an egg that is not fertilized they eat the egg and the shell when they realize it's bad I guess but I'm still learning.

Hmmm, that sounds strange, indeed. I wonder if they started pipping and, for whatever reason, she decided to start eating the shell and (for lack of better wording) ripped them out of the shell before they were ready?

Sometimes momma ducks have a hard time being momma ducks (and other animals for that matter). Meaning, sometimes they sabotage things. I guess you'll never really know what exactly happened. I'm so sorry it happened that way though. :hugs

How's the last egg? Also, I just thought.. You don't think a rat or some critter might have done this?

Hmmm, that sounds strange, indeed. I wonder if they started pipping and, for whatever reason, she decided to start eating the shell and (for lack of better wording) ripped them out of the shell before they were ready?

Sometimes momma ducks have a hard time being momma ducks (and other animals for that matter). Meaning, sometimes they sabotage things. I guess you'll never really know what exactly happened. I'm so sorry it happened that way though. :hugs

How's the last egg? Also, I just thought.. You don't think a rat or some critter might have done this?
The last egg she is still sitting on now. It sounds like maybe you're right as far as what happened I will be putting the duck camera back in the duck house so the next time one of my girls sits I can keep an eye on everything better. Thank you for your responses and ideas of what might have happened.

The last egg she is still sitting on now. It sounds like maybe you're right as far as what happened I will be putting the duck camera back in the duck house so the next time one of my girls sits I can keep an eye on everything better. Thank you for your responses and ideas of what might have happened.

Definitely a good idea with the camera. I was going to mention cameras but I know they can be pricey. It's nice that you've already got one on hand though! I hope everything works out from here on.

Definitely a good idea with the camera. I was going to mention cameras but I know they can be pricey. It's nice that you've already got one on hand though! I hope everything works out from here on.
I actually found a free app called at home and I use one of my old phones as the camera and I can keep an eye on it from my current phone or my tablet Etc. Unfortunately I just found her by the pool with the last baby in the pool. This one seems to have a hole in it's belly.... In the same position as all the others however.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_180051920.jpg
    IMG_20200601_180051920.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200601_180136888.jpg
    IMG_20200601_180136888.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom