Worried about my Dark Brama hen she is 6 months old and has only laid me double yolkers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tammy N, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Will she burn her self out or is this something the breed is famous for ?

I really am not sure what to do i would like to hatch some eggs but so far every one out of her is a DY

any advice

Oh out of the 23 hens we have 1 roo LOL so not too bad for straight run

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Gosh you're lucky! I got 39 roosters and 1 pullet once LOL

Your hen is 6 months old so I'm guessing she hasn't been laying many eggs yet. Young hens do like to lay double yolkers, they sometimes also lay no-yolk eggs before they get their system working properly. It could take up to a month for a pullet to start laying "normal" eggs. I bought 40 POL pullets once and we got so many doubles I lost count. My barnyard mixes on the other hand laid small first eggs and then normal eggs after about 2 weeks.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She'll use up her supply of ova twice as fast but she may settle down. It's more common with pullets.
    How many eggs has she laid to date?

4. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    So far just 15 every other day but the last 3 days she is laying daily I was hoping she would slow down Not that i do nto mind the BIG eggs but i am worried she is my first brahma baby and i just am in love i have 3 Molly i got older for the 5 week old chicks so she was queen laid for 3 weeks now molting then polyanna and Henryetta Poly is the baby at 12 lbs for the girls heneryetta is almost 13.
    she just layed her first egg yesterday and they are Hatch mates Mollys daughters

5. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    I forgot to mention 2 times she laid soft shells

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is normal for a new layer. Soft of no shell, no yolk or double yolk, small or extra large eggs too.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Not to worry, very common in new layers, both event. I have a buff that layed the double yolkers for a pretty long time, but eventually went to single yolkers, my boys love double yolkers.

And what could you do about it? Nothing, enjoy what you got, and don't worry about what you can't change.

MrsK

8. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Thanks For al lthe replies i am feeling a little better she is like i said my favorite girl .... my buff second LOL

but i was worried her eggs are the size of turkey eggs and that well is Huge ... Im thinking when she gets if she gets to single yolks hathing some Brahma X rhodie eggs calling them Brodies LOL
    Tammy

9. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    YEAH SHE IS laying single yolks now And huge ... But i am happ she will be ok i thank you all very much for the advice .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by