Worried about my ex battery hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessie_Jazz, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    I got 4 ex bat hens this morning and they seem to be settling in ok but I'm worried about one making a strange sound.

It is a kind of bubbling, ticking sound. I have heard of chickens purring and wondered if it might be that so I looked on youtube for some videos. It sounds pretty similar, but she's doing it ALL the time whenever I'm out there. Surely she can't have anything to be happy about - I'd imagine she's pretty stressed at them moment, with all the changes in the last couple o weeks.
    Is it just that she's scared or could there be a respitory problem?

I will keep an eye on her today and if she's still doing it tomorrow I'll call the centre I got her from.

This is her, at the front. (Her name is Cheryl)

[​IMG]

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Awwwwwww, I will pray for her. Hope she gets to feeling better. Bless her little heart........ It's so sad to me, the way people are allowed to treat animals. SO SAD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for saving her. [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you able to post the link to one of the videos that the noise sounds most like? Chickens have a wide range of sounds they make, some of them can actually sound like they're sick when it's just normal. I wouldn't be too quick to worry, especially because these birds are probably very out of their element.

And I thank you for giving these birds another chance at life. I wish we had the ability to be more active with 'ex'-battery hens in the states.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by