Worried about my girl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chrystalduck, May 15, 2011.

1. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have a runner who has me very worried. She has always been so loving, calm and very sweet. She has just recently started acting like she is afraid of me? I go out to give them treats, she turns her back to me. I noticed yesterday she was holding one foot up under her wing. I went in and picked her up and inspected the foot. I didn't see anything wrong. I held her a while then placed her in the pool, she seems to be dirty looking, her feathers aren't soft like they used to be. She is a little over a year old. Any ideas? Could it be a drake who is a little too rough, she does act like she is afraid of him?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Holding one foot tucked up into the feathers is a way they keep one foot warm- often they will have a snooze like that. It may not mean something is wrong with the leg or foot.

When did she last molt? It could just be that the feathers are getting older.

As for her behavior...is she laying? She could be at the onset of going broody...

Just some of my thoughts...

3. chrystalduck

chrystalduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Yes she is laying. I can't remember for sure when her last molt was. I am so worried about her. This is so not like her. Maybe she is getting broody? I can't see any reason to think she is sick, I watch close, maybe to close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by