Worried about my Girl...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Droitwich, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Droitwich

Droitwich New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    I have a Barnevelder Hen (whom we purchased from a Breeder)... well we actually purchased two Barvevelders and Four Orpingtons at approx four months of age... they had feathers missing when we got them.
    And I am somewhat cutting a long story short here - but two Orpingtons died - one died after two days and the other after four months, now my Barnevelder doesn't seem well...
    Her sister is doing well and looks healthy but she doesn't seem to be growing as big as her sister...? I have started to feed her separately today and she is eating well enough when I hold the Food Bowl for her, but if its not directly in front of her face she doesn't seem to be able to see it...? she actually walked in to my Dog today who was sitting eating her bone in the Garden... so i thought she may have problems with her sight...her eyes are clear and there is no discharge - but she just doesn't look right sometimes...even though on other days she looks happy enough and is quite vocal...

I really love all of my animals - but I hate to see them not at there best...

Any Advice would be much appreciated.

2. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey
    So sorry to hear of your losses.
    You are definately right to seperate your sick hen. Monitor her food and water intake closely if you suspect her vision is impaired or she may slowly starve.

The only thing I can think of that might be your problem here would be
    Mareks Disease which is a viral disease (a form of herpes virus) resulting in a type of cancer. Tumors can grow in the iris causing blindness as well as affecting major organs.

Have you noticed any other symptoms from the birds that passed away ?

Best wishes x

3. Droitwich

Droitwich New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    No not any recognisable symptoms from my other hens...?

My Orpington just went down all of a sudden... she seemed healthy enough and then on the morning she was lying on the grass and I picked her up and put her in her coop - she even laid an egg and then by the afternoon she came out of her coop and I found her dead underneath it... I was devastated...!!!!

I buried her here at our home and in our garden...

I really want the best for our girls and I want them to live a happy outdoor lifestyle with people who love them...

They give us Eggs everyday and I want to look after them well and give them a Happy place to live....

4. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello,sorry for your loss,i hope your hen recover's[​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Have they ever been dewormed? Have you checked them carefully for mites or lice? Internal and external parasites can weaken a bird and cause loss of weight and general condition until a bird just dies. There are many things this could be but that is where I'd start. If you loose another bird it would be good to have a necropsy done by one of your states poultry labs so that you know what's going on in your flock.

6. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    so sorry for your loss,hoping you find some answer's[​IMG]

7. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been "mite season" when the weather is warm they multiply and left unchecked can kill hens.
    Use a good cleaner like poultry shield and jet wash in all the nooks and crannies. Use sevin dust or DE on the perch ends, nest boxes and dust baths.
    Do they readily go to bed at night ?
    If they linger it could be a sign if mites.
    I worm my flocks with flubenvet twice a year, use ivermectin spot on every couple of months as I have a lot of feathery legs and the odd bit of scaley leg now and then.

When looking for solutions I would start eliminating stuff by worming and de-miting the coops.

How is your little girl with the poss eye issue going on ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by