Worried about my hen

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
~~ noticed her just kinda acting funny with her head. She started acting a little clumsy too. I watched her the other day. there was a piece of wood lying in my yard. I thought im going to see if she goes around it or runs into it. sure enough she knda tripped over it. the other day she was trying to get a drink of water and was trying to put her beak under the water until she discovered it was up a little. she keeps her face really close to the ground when she is eating. I tossed a egg on the ground she heard it but took her a few seconds to find it. I know she can see some because she knows when I am trying to pick her up. she is easily spooked now (very understandable). its heartbreaking. I told my husband that's why she us by herself sometimes. I think she doesn't realize the other chickens have walked off. when she hears the roosters that's where she really wants to be. with him. what does this sound like to yall?

I'd suggest you ask for help in the disease/sickness forum
sad.png
Good luck, I hope she's okay

It surely does sound like she has a vision problem. I take it this is a recent development. Have you inspected her eyes closely? Feel her head. Is it round and smooth, any bumps on one side? Are one or both of her eyes weepy? Do you see a membrane-like thing covering one or both eyes?

When you go to post on the emergencies forum, provide as much description as possible of anything you notice out of the ordinary with her.

Good luck.

I have already posted it in the disease and no response. that's why I put it in the behavior. no I haven't felt of her head but her eyes I think look normal. I know she can see some because she walked over a piece of fire wood today so that made me feel better. I know something is going on with her vision tho. her eyes don't look weepy. I wll try to check her head. she gets startled when I try to pick her up tho. I wish I knew what she was seeing.

How old is your hen?

I have a six-year old Brahma who began developing a tumor over her right eye two years ago. It's a noticeable bump, the size of an almond, and it looks like a bumpy eyebrow. The pressure of the growth makes her eye weep, but she isn't suffering any other ill effects from it. I don't believe she has trouble seeing. Your hen may have a tumor on her optic nerve, and it's interfering with her vision. But feel her head and see if you can detect any abnormality.

As chickens age, especially hatchery ones, they can develop all sorts of ailments as they aren't bred for health and longevity. There probably isn't anything you will be able to do about it, even if you figure out what's going on. As long as she continues to be able to eat and get around, I would just leave her be. But once you see she isn't having a quality life, you need to consider putting her down.

Last edited:
yea, she is eating and doing good. sometimes it takes her a few seconds for her to find it. I sure hope she doesn't get any worse. she hops up in the coop and gets to bed on the roost just fine. I would love to see what she sees.

Back
Top Bottom