worried about my Margo

Sandra Verbreyt

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
Temse Belgium
I have been to the vet with Margo and she was given an antibiotic injection and is due for another one on Friday. A week or so ago I was holding her and she began to struggle so I let her go, she bumped her little head on the fox scarer but she seemed to be ok and continued to eat and drink and walk around the garden. She was broody but that has now gone and yet she is still insisting on just sitting in the coop as if brooding. She is still eating and drinking and when I lift her out she goes for a walk and scrabbles etc but very soon returns to the coop. She has also become quite aggressive towards my other chicken Ruby who has now become quite scared of being too close to Margo. What can I do? She is no longer broody and is eating and drinking but remaining a moody madame. Is it a case of just give it time or should I take her out of the coop and close it and so making her stay out? I have tried that a few times but she just takes herself to the door and lays there waiting for me to open it up again. Help anybody please.

Have you checked to see if her crop is emptying overnight? Feel the crop at daylight, and if it is full and puffy or hard, something is wrong. Check her for mites and lice on her skin. Did she lay eggs before she went broody? She may still be slightly broody. I would remove her in a wire dog crate or cage with no bedding for 3-5 days, and place her own food and water inside. The crate can be kept outside in daytime, and inside at night.

Have you checked to see if her crop is emptying overnight? Feel the crop at daylight, and if it is full and puffy or hard, something is wrong. Check her for mites and lice on her skin. Did she lay eggs before she went broody? She may still be slightly broody. I would remove her in a wire dog crate or cage with no bedding for 3-5 days, and place her own food and water inside. The crate can be kept outside in daytime, and inside at night.
Thanks for the advice. I do not have a wire dog cage but I do have a large indoor rabbit cage. Would this be sufficient ?

I don't know why she was being medicated, but it doesn't seem that it would affect whether or not she is broody. And the description certainly sounds like broody actions to me. Why do you say:
She is no longer broody

She was broody but that has now gone

Just because she no longer has a pile of eggs to be broody on doesn't mean she's no longer broody. Some breeds will go broody on anything, including [literally] thin air. :thSilkies and Banty Cochins are both bad about it, I know! I've also had other hens of other random breeds be determined to hatch a clutch of nothing, too. :rolleyes::lau They eventually decide the empty air is big enough to be by itself, and go on back to other regular hen activities. I have even had some hens need to have food and water right.next to them, literally close enough she doesn't have to move from the nest, or they can starve themselves. I nearly lost one hen from that, the silly goof. Thankfully, nursing her back with vitamins and extra protein treats [and lots of patience] worked, or I would certainly have lost her.

I don't know why she was being medicated, but it doesn't seem that it would affect whether or not she is broody. And the description certainly sounds like broody actions to me. Why do you say:

Just because she no longer has a pile of eggs to be broody on doesn't mean she's no longer broody. Some breeds will go broody on anything, including [literally] thin air. :thSilkies and Banty Cochins are both bad about it, I know! I've also had other hens of other random breeds be determined to hatch a clutch of nothing, too. :rolleyes::lau They eventually decide the empty air is big enough to be by itself, and go on back to other regular hen activities. I have even had some hens need to have food and water right.next to them, literally close enough she doesn't have to move from the nest, or they can starve themselves. I nearly lost one hen from that, the silly goof. Thankfully, nursing her back with vitamins and extra protein treats [and lots of patience] worked, or I would certainly have lost her.
You are right I think she is still broody. I only have 2 chickens and just one is laying at the moment and just one egg a day so Margo chooses to sit on it but when I take it she sits on thin air. She is still eating and drinking but if allowed will sit all day in the coop in the straw brooding and being a moody girl. Thanks for your advice ;)

I would use a cage that she could stand in and lie down, as well as that would contain food and water. It is a good idea with chickens to have some sort of hospital cage to place a sick bird or a broody in to protect them from harm. I have built my own by making a frame out of old wood. It can be covered in fencing or even stapled on plastic poultry netting. But a wire dog crate really is a good investment, but your rabbit crate might be large enough. My broody breaking pen in on the ground with grass. There is a small roost which helps to cool their bellies.

I would use a cage that she could stand in and lie down, as well as that would contain food and water. It is a good idea with chickens to have some sort of hospital cage to place a sick bird or a broody in to protect them from harm. I have built my own by making a frame out of old wood. It can be covered in fencing or even stapled on plastic poultry netting. But a wire dog crate really is a good investment, but your rabbit crate might be large enough. My broody breaking pen in on the ground with grass. There is a small roost which helps to cool their bellies.

This is a good idea, even if you don't mind her pretending to be brooding thin air. Having someplace to put a sick or injured bird is really a necessity, even if you never have to use it. Because someday, you might desperately need one, and the only thing you'll have to use is your shower stall in your bathroom, and you DON'T want to clean up THAT mess, LOL!

Thankyou to everybody for your helpful advice. I put Margo in the rabbit cage and aftr 2 days she is no longer broody and back to her oldself although she still remains quite a bully towards Ruby who may I add is starting to stick up for herself. There is never a dull day with my girlies ;)

Back
Top Bottom