Worried About my new chick in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantamweight21, Jan 16, 2013.

1. bantamweight21

bantamweight21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    In two more Tuesday's my 1 chick is gonna hatch out of 14 eggs and I want my one chick to survive but I'm concerned about this in my coop. I keep it clean but this shows up every day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. 101chickenlover

101chickenlover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    put mabey wood over it

3. bantamweight21

bantamweight21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    The stuff comes of their laying pellets as soon as it gets wet. I just hope its not mold:(

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If their food gets wet, it is going to get moldy. Hopefully you can find a way to keep the food in a dry spot.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Can you put a tarp or something over the coop to keep the water out? And maybe cover the floor with something water resistant. That doesn't look good at all... I wouldn't let a chick OR an older chicken live in there like that. You got to make a plan with that a.s.a.p. Put their food in a container where it can stay dry for starters. A damp coop is not a healthy environment for a chicken and it can cause health problems if left untreated. Try and keep the water out, get that floor dry and keep it dry as much as you can without compromising ventilation. If you look in the Coop and Run section you'll get some ideas. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by