WORRIED about my new hatchling...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    she's been out of the egg for 6+ hours and I haven't seen either eye open once. She's still lfuffing up, stretching, peeping, rolling over etc. I do notice a weird twitch now and then.

time to worry??

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Do they look normal otherwise (it's eyes)? I know sometimes people can be born with their eyes sealed shut, never seen it in a chicken personally but anything can happen.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I googled it and took the suggestion of wetting them with q-tips...i can separate the lids and see eyeballs but she's not opening them on her own. They literlly look like skin over eyeballs with the top of the bottom lid way up high.

[​IMG]

4. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    Let her dry off, then when you take her out, do the Q-tip thing with warm water, is she sticky anyplace else?

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    It can take a little while! I had one that had not absorbed it's yolk sak yet and it laid pretty lifeless for almost 18 hours. I wet the eyes with Qtips and waited. She woke up pretty frisky and flapping her wings then she tried standing by the next day she was/is a regular little chick [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So let her dry the rest of the way then rewet lids?

7. Jessica_1285

Jessica_1285 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Fredonia PA
    I had the same problem with a chick that hatched last month! it was just like you described. I was worried sick, she didnt even stand up untill she was almost 2 days old! The next day to my surprise she had normal eyes lol. She is a healthy normal chick now:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by