Worried about my Road Island Red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildfirerhonda, Nov 28, 2011.

1. wildfirerhonda

wildfirerhonda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Just wanted to ask anyone, my Road Island Reds is acting strange, I believe he has gone through a molting, he lost alot of feathers, they are coming back but his comb has shrunken and has gone from a bright beautiful red to a pale red, almost orange color. He was always the king of the coop, now he acts like a timid little girl. Any ideas what could be wrong, I talk to him alot and try to boost his self esteem I thought maybe he was feeling bad about himself during the molting as he was looking kind of scrawny, but nothing seems to be working. He is eating and drinking well, out scratching every day, just not acting like himself. All of our roosters and hens are free range. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I would imagine he is still molting. It takes a ton of energy to molt and I imagine a little bit of dignity too. You just may have to give it time. Its a great sign that he's eating and drinking normally. Hang in there.

3. wildfirerhonda

wildfirerhonda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks so much, I just keep giving him words of encouragement !

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep up the words of encouragement. Those plus time and good nutrition will bring him back to his former condition.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Keep up the protein. My JG is molting and her comb is almost pale pink/whitish. She is way low on energy and looks a fright. I've read and read and it seems pretty darn normal. I've been supplementing with more fresh greens, tuna, mealworms and lots of extra love. She's still pretty pathetic though. =0(

6. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Black Oil Sunflower seed aka BOSS can help too!

7. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Probably still molting. Not sure what to say about the comb though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by