Worried about my Speckle.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avon lady, Jan 5, 2010.

1. avon lady

avon lady New Egg

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I have four chickens which are free range. For the last couple of weeks my Speckledy has'nt been laying. For the last week she has been moulting quite a few feathers. Today she seems very quiet and wanting to be on her own. She is not running around either. Is this normal behaviour when they moult? I'm really worried about her. I've checked her over and she just seems to be moulting.
    She is eating and I do worm them. Any ideas?

Thanx

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hens rarely lay when they are molting. However, the sitting off to herself is something I would be concerned about. First, does she seem at all broody? What does her poop look like? Is she eating and drinking normally?

3. avon lady

avon lady New Egg

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi

I hadn't thought of her being broody due to the moulting. But I guess it could be the case. She has been broody twice in the past and has spent these times in a cage. But this time seems different. Do you think that it is worth putting her in a cage? I'm just worried about the cold weather with her being segregated.

J

4. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    What breed is she?

5. avon lady

avon lady New Egg

Jan 5, 2010
    She's a speckledy layer. She seems a bit perkier today apart from the snow. Still not herself but I don't think she is broody as she isn't staying in the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by