Worried about my week old chick!

ChickAsThieves

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Northeast
I have beautiful Blue Splash Marans chick that I got from MyPetChicken. We named her Grey. I believe she hatched either Sunday or Monday of last week. I have 17 chicks in the brooder and this chick doesn't behave like the others. She sleeps a lot and just generally seems to have low energy. When I change the food and water the other chicks all run from my hands but she doesn't seem bothered by it. She falls asleep in our hands as soon as we pick her up. If you place her by herself, she will stand up and peep but she doesn't run around or anything.

She appears to be eating and drinking normally, but she just seems off. She lays on her side sometimes and the other chicks peck at her, walk on her, or lay right on top of her. She's my favorite and I'm worried she's not going to make it.

Other than offering her some extra NutriDrench, is there anything I can do to help bolster her health? Are BS Marans chicks just exceedingly relaxed?

TIA!

It sounds like "failure to thrive", and there isn't much you can do if she has serious genetic flaws preventing her from absorbing nutrients.

You may be able to help her by special feeding, though she may never reach full size. I've had good luck with crumbled tofu with Nutri-drench sprinkled on it. Or you could try it on fermented feed. Both of these are "predigested" and it makes it easier for a chick like yours to get some benefit from its food.

It's worth a shot.

This sounds a lot like what I am going through right now with one of my barred rock pullets. It just started today though. But what you described is the behavior I'm seeing too. The only other thing I'm noticing is that she walks with her wings out when she is in the brooder with shavings. She also chirps loudly.

Grey was still alive this morning although she was sleeping when I looked in on them. On the advice of a friend I put a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water this morning. I placed Grey right in front of the waterer and she drank liberally. I checked her crop and there was food in it. I'm at work now, but I'll be home in about 3 hours. I'm going to crumble up some egg yolk and feed it the chicks. Hopefully she'll be willing to try some.

It sucks when you get attached to the chicks that are struggling!
hmm.png

It sounds like "failure to thrive", and there isn't much you can do if she has serious genetic flaws preventing her from absorbing nutrients.

You may be able to help her by special feeding, though she may never reach full size. I've had good luck with crumbled tofu with Nutri-drench sprinkled on it. Or you could try it on fermented feed. Both of these are "predigested" and it makes it easier for a chick like yours to get some benefit from its food.

It's worth a shot.

I've never dealt with this before. If it was "failure to thrive" would she be growing? She's the same size as the other chicks and her wing feathers are coming in nicely. Thanks!

I have a similar situation, 50 1 week old chicks, we already lost one within the first 24 hours, but that was Friday. I may have expedited it's demise not knowing what to do. At least I hope I learned something. The rest seemed healthy, a few bigger than the others. A tiny chick caught my attention about an hour ago. It's butt was caked, so I took it out to clean it, don't want it to get clogged. It already pooped, so that's good. It is not as active, and pretty much is at the mercy of the mob so to speake. It isn't being picked on, but it just gets trampled, it's just not big enough to stand up to the others. I removed it and got it to eat a bit of scrambled egg yolk mashed with its feed, which is soft from fermenting, and a bit of yogurt. The flock was sleeping, so I put it back, it seems more "alive" in the brooder than on its own. My question is, is it better to separate it, try to get it it's strength back, or am I doing more harm than good with stress by keeping it separate? Should I divide the brooder, I have plenty of space and a second lamp, and put it in there with fewer chicks?

Thank you.

I have a similar situation, 50 1 week old chicks, we already lost one within the first 24 hours, but that was Friday. I may have expedited it's demise not knowing what to do. At least I hope I learned something. The rest seemed healthy, a few bigger than the others. A tiny chick caught my attention about an hour ago. It's butt was caked, so I took it out to clean it, don't want it to get clogged. It already pooped, so that's good. It is not as active, and pretty much is at the mercy of the mob so to speake. It isn't being picked on, but it just gets trampled, it's just not big enough to stand up to the others. I removed it and got it to eat a bit of scrambled egg yolk mashed with its feed, which is soft from fermenting, and a bit of yogurt. The flock was sleeping, so I put it back, it seems more "alive" in the brooder than on its own. My question is, is it better to separate it, try to get it it's strength back, or am I doing more harm than good with stress by keeping it separate? Should I divide the brooder, I have plenty of space and a second lamp, and put it in there with fewer chicks?

Thank you.
I think due to the amount of chicks you have in the brooder it certainly couldn't hurt to separate that one chick and give her a few (calm) friends. If you watch the chicks for a bit pick the other two that seem the most calm and put the three of them together. It can't hurt! I wish your little one the best!

I have beautiful Blue Splash Marans chick that I got from MyPetChicken. We named her Grey. I believe she hatched either Sunday or Monday of last week.  I have 17 chicks in the brooder and this chick doesn't behave like the others. She sleeps a lot and just generally seems to have low energy. When I change the food and water the other chicks all run from my hands but she doesn't seem bothered by it. She falls asleep in our hands as soon as we pick her up. If you place her by herself, she will stand up and peep but she doesn't run around or anything.

She appears to be eating and drinking normally, but she just seems off. She lays on her side sometimes and the other chicks peck at her, walk on her, or lay right on top of her. She's my favorite and I'm worried she's not going to make it. 

Other than offering her some extra NutriDrench, is there anything I can do to help bolster her health? Are BS Marans chicks just exceedingly relaxed?

TIA!
our marans is the same way, loves being held and is more laid back than the other chicks; she is the only marans we have.

Here is a pic of the little one in the newly expanded/divided brooder. I ended up with 5 others, there were two others, but one wouldn't stop chirping even though every other bird was asleep, and the other I removed because it was aggressive. He/she sleeps standing up, I keep thinking it is going to tip. Every other chick is losing its down, this one is still a fluff ball. When awake, it is not constantly eating like the others, but it is pretty aggressive. It pecks at the beaks of the others while feeding, and they leave it alone. It'll be interesting to watch this dynamic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom