worried about my Xbreed trying to hatch...PIP'd hours ago then nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Am waiting on my Xbreed to hatch, it's day 22 now. Timing isn't so much my concern to me, but he PIP'd sometime between 9pm and 1am, 5 1/2-9 hours ago? Peeping, but no zipping. It's a pretty small egg. He's from a barred rock hen and a bantam roo. Is it possible he's too tight in the egg to zip? The "sister egg" I have, some cross, is on day 21 and almost a third bigger thn his egg.

Should I even be worried?

2. stines4

stines4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Chatsworth
    we had 4 xbreeds eggs one pipped and then nothing, then one hatched and the other 2 didnt and they had babies in them! [​IMG] good luck!

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Was it a pullet egg? Smaller eggs tend to make weaker chicks, in my opinion. Just let the chick take its time. It has to draw the blood in from the veins, absorb the yolk sack, and rest before pecking through the shell. It might not fully hatch until 22 days have gone by.

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    She's been laying for 2 months or so now but her eggs are pretty petite. I have another one htching today, same hen & roo, but today's hatch egg is a bit bigger thn yesterdays. Today's PIPd about 10 hours ago and is now zipping...yay!

This is Sweetpea, who hatched yesterday. She hadnlt absorbed all of her yolk yet, and it took her a full 12 hours to perk up. She's doing so well today and has been moved to the brooder with my week old wyandotte and a 4 1/2 week runty silkie (tiny thing)...doing great! I did end up assisting her with zipping, and wish I would have just left her to do her thing. I think her recovery from birth would hve been smoother.

[​IMG]

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    OMGoodness I love those fuzzy feets!!![​IMG]:love:jumpy:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by