Worried about new hens and laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ediclyne, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ediclyne

ediclyne New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    So in all my excitement over my first hens (raised from chicks) laying eggs I decided I'd rescue three hens from a family who has to relocate. I got a mature barred rock and americauna and a black star pullet. We're working on integrating the new threesome with the existing flock slowly, and there's been no fighting so far just a safe distance (which is starting to get a bit smaller now and again [​IMG] BUT, my new threesome are terrified of humans [​IMG] And they're roosting on top of the high fence that goes around our big chicken pen. There's no way I can catch them to even try and put them in the coop with our youngsters and while they're happy to hang out UNDER our coop I've never seen them go in. And that's where the nest boxes are. Are my two layers likely to be laying their eggs somewhere I just can't see?? Are they going to get sick from suddenly *not* laying cos they haven't found anywhere comfortable? I've set up the pet carrier I transported them in and an old dog kennel with hay in a shady area they like to hang out in but never seen them go in. Any creative ideas very much welcomed! (And sorry for my ignorance, I'm a brand new chicken fanatic having originally fought my hubby on the whole 'chickens-are-great' idea!)

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Generally if you bring adult birds in you need to quarantine them for like 30 days. After that what I did is released mine in the closed up coop at night with my teens. In the morning the regulars who were not laying yet went out and I kept the new ones and my 4 layers in a bit longer. I do not enjoy egg hunts 365 days a year. Once a year is enough for me. This locked up time gave me extra time to look them over more to make sure they were doing ok in the new coop. Perches not bugging them, no broken feathers or anything from my brute of a rooster. I gave them warm scrambled eggs which I think made them love me forever. I gave them some girl time alone. Let them out with the others and collected my eggs. The ones who did not come in directly answered to the rooster. He is very insistent that even the teens come in at night. That poor boy tries to hurt 28 birds into a coop every night. If you don't have a roo who will do that try turning on a light in the coop at night. Just leave it on long enough to get them to come in. Then close everything up and turn the light off for the night. If they are laying under the coop you may be smelling it after a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by