Worried about new hens Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemybluelacedred, Jun 25, 2011.

1. lovemybluelacedred

lovemybluelacedred Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    ok so i just bought my first HEN (welsummer)i have other chickens that aren't too far from laying but still young) at a flock swap (i've had really good luck at the flea market so i thought i'd give it a shot b/c these are poultry people) this morning and i thought her crop (i think, front chest area) was kinda large, but i just went to check on her and it has gotten alot bigger, just larger than a golf ball. it is taught but not rock hard. im really worried cause i've read that it could be something stuck and i'll have to cut it open and clean it out...yuck! i don't do well with open flesh. she is acting healthy so maybe im just being paranoid

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes - I'd say you're just being paranoid [​IMG] lol Put the food away tonight and check her first thing in the morning - if her crop's gone down significantly, then she's just fine. Some chickens crops aren't that noticeable, while others end up looking like Dolly Parton when their crops are full [​IMG]

3. lovemybluelacedred

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    cool! thanks so much. i will post back in the morning if nothing changes

4. lovemybluelacedred

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    ok it never went down, just got bigger. i have giving her olive oil and massaged it. then i gave her 3cc of wine and massaged it. all i have fed her is whole wheat bread soaked in olive oil and butter milk. it has gotten alot softer but hasn't gone down. should i keep this up or try something else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by