Worried about newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nlayfield, Dec 17, 2011.

1. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    This is my first time hatching and last night my husband and I noticed that one chick had pipped on the small end of the shell and it was face down. my husband read on how to help the chick zip and so we carefully did that. However, now the chick seems to be lathargic, just laying there and not making any attempt to move around. It's been 7 hours since we helped zip the shell. I'm afraid it's not going to make it. Is there anything I can do to help it?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Yes,

Let nature take its course..Stay out of the bator..sit on your hands... clean..whatever but don't go back in it...There's a reason for everything-there's a reason they aren't hatching or cant hatch on its own-it could be deformities-weak-runted-stunted etc.. I have learned through MANY hatches DONT interveine...Anytime I did...I paid for it emotionally because when examining the chicks-they were in bad health-deformed etc...they would not have lived beyond a few days or I had a bunch of handicappers I tried to "save" only to have to put them down myself:9 That's even worse. Leave it be...If it hatches on its own then great:) What day are these eggs on? what are you hatching?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    They are "easter eggers" my husband ordered the eggs from ebay. The breeder had nothing but good feedback. This is our first time and they are on day 21. I think the one that wasn't moving has died because I can't see it breathing anymore [​IMG] the other three eggs haven't even started pipping yet. Somehow I don't think they are gonna make it either. I guess like you said the only thing to do is just to leave it alone and see that happens. One chick is doin good. I think he may be the lonely only hatchling [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:ok day 21...never go into bator so early in the game..Now if you were on day 23-id say give it a try but never interfere as Ive had chick pip from the wrong end and they hatched out all on their own just fine. what is your temp/humidity?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ps..Im not scolding in any manor..Just telling you the way it is in a non candy coated manor! The way I was taught:)

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I have had some hatch on day 23 and 24. My last hatch from Deb Hot2Pot started hatching on day 20 and did not finish until 24. I'm sorry for your loss and heartache [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] If you do end up with a single chick some use a stuffed animal or even a featherduster to keep the chick company. Also you might check craigslist for your area and see if anyone has any chicks you can get to keep it company [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    I appreciate your honesty and frankness. The temp is 100 and humidity is 70.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:mmm sounds perfect [​IMG] I can tell this...Just leave the bator alone and do not open it again to give the others a good fighting chance..The more you open it..the more you take away from the surroundings they need need to hatch properly. Will it kill them..no..but give them the best chance to hatch...That one chick you helped ish-was there alot of blood? is it still in its shell?

Lesson #2 if you see blood at all-when tryng to help..STOP put it back in bator. They can bleed out fast if you hit a major vessel/vein...

9. nlayfield

nlayfield New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:mmm sounds perfect [​IMG] I can tell this...Just leave the bator alone and do not open it again to give the others a good fighting chance..The more you open it..the more you take away from the surroundings they need need to hatch properly. Will it kill them..no..but give them the best chance to hatch...That one chick you helped ish-was there alot of blood? is it still in its shell?

Lesson #2 if you see blood at all-when tryng to help..STOP put it back in bator. They can bleed out fast if you hit a major vessel/vein...

There was a little blood but we put it back in and left it alone for an hour or a little longer. It is no longer in the shell, it's not attached to the yolk sack anymore, it was last night when I went to bed but not anymore.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

There was a little blood but we put it back in and left it alone for an hour or a little longer. It is no longer in the shell, it's not attached to the yolk sack anymore, it was last night when I went to bed but not anymore.

So its just hatched out ..lying in bator..not breathing? what does the area where it was attached look like-fully closed up? or did it become detached from the yolk sac before it was fully absorbed? can you get a good photo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by