Worried about Omlet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oesdog, Jul 8, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Omlet is a wee bit slower than the other chicks. He is in the Brood box with Blue because they don;t have a mummy. They are 4 weeks old.
    Our Hen outside has 4 chicks they are a week older. So we have taken Blue and Omlet with us outside in the evening for an hour to peck about with the other chicks and try to get them all to get on. In the future they will be living together.

Blue gets right on in there and starts to do what the others do. Pecking about and following the hen and fighting over bugs and things they find in the grass.
    Omlet used to do this about 10 days ago, but since he got an eye infection and stayed in and now he isn;t doing it. Infact he seems to get very cold very quick. Doesn;t follow the others and wanders off on his own. Then he drops down in the grass and it is like he is very tired and cold. So I put him and Blue back in the basket and take them back to the brood box to warm up. Once I put the temp up and he gets to lay down in his mummy sock he seems to rally a bit. But he is still very much the baby baby of the group.

He gets loads of treats to biuld him up. Eggs and bread and all sorts. What can I do to make him stronger. I noticed our Hen seems to "accidently " stand on him now when before she accepted him and not Blue. Now she accepts blue and stands on Omlet. He seems to get very upset and sad looking. Am I doing the right thing trying to intergrate them? I won;t leave blue and Omlet alone with the hen incase she turns on them and I don;t leave them at night as neither Blue or omlet know to get under the hen for warmth.

I don;t want to lose little Omlet - wish I could show a pic but not sure how to do that yet so you all will just have to take my word for it. he is a real love.

Oesdog [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, poor little guy. I would boil some eggs, and crumble them up real good and feed that for extra protein. Also maybe some gamebird starter feed would be good for him, because it has higher protein. Vitamins/electrolites in his drinking water would help too.

I had a little cockerel that I purchased as a day old chick. He started out slower than the others.....feathered more slowly....looked very awkward. He would run around and then sit down like he was tired alot at first......he has since grown into a fine rooster.

I would just be extra careful, like you are, and baby him alot.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks I am worried because Omlet is special. Blue too. Blue was the first we "helped" Hatch and Omlet we nearly threw out and only noticed the egg was piped at the last minuite. He was nearly a week over due and once out of his shell he never moved for 12 hrs and we only knew he was alive because his tummy moved when he breathed. he is a little fighter and we love him. ( I hope hes not a roo as I am not able to keep him if he is but I always call him he for some reason?)

Good to get a reply
    Will go boil more eggs I guess.
    Oeadog [​IMG]

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I would be really suspect that the infection you mentioned isn't fully resolved. Is the bird still on antibiotics? If not, I would put him on a general antibiotic right away and keep it in the water for at least 2 weeks. Also, you might try some live treats for the extra nutrients not found in processed foods -- crickets or mealworms would be good. Keep the bird very warm -- like 80-85 but not so he gets heat stressed. That is what I would do in your situation.

Good luck, I hope this works out for you.

5. Horsea

Horsea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    Quote:I have always been fascinated by the fact that chickens just LOVE eating eggs, raw or cooked! It seems to be such a tonic and they really go for it.

PS: Best of luck with your chicks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by