Worried about our Silkie

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Our Thing 2 is setting. She is very young herself, and has not really learned to fly yet. Not having had Silkies before, I don't know if they even fly at all, but she is setting on her eggs, in a nest on the floor, rather than choosing an elevated nest site. Since we secure the barn at night I am not too worriied about other predators, but I did see a couple of rats out there tonight. Haven't noticed any all summer. Is she big enough that they won't bother her? As soon as her eggs hatch, we will move her and the chicks, but haven't wanted to bother her while she's setting on the eggs.

She will probably eat the rat when my chickens sit on the floor anything that goes close it eats it cause when they sit they don't eat or drink if she is hungry she will eat the rat.

Well, my broodies get off the nest once a day to eat, drink, and leave that huge stinky broody poo on the ground. Thing is though, at least the rats around here... are huge and could easily take on a silkie to get her eggs if it wanted it. A baby chick is very tempting food.

I can't imagine a chicken eating a full grown rat. Mice, yeah, no problem, but to kill and eat something with the body on average the size of a 20 ounce coke bottle? That's going to be a challenge.

Silkies can't fly. But boy can they jump. I bet my roo jumped 5 feet off the ground after a bumble bee.

Jennifer

Well most chickens aim for the head. They can tear the mouse. Depends
smile.png
I've seen my chicken eat an mouse before.

Well, she gave up on the nest anyway. Eggs did not appear to be fertile. I think she's still sleeping on the floor at night; normally she and her sister sleep on a straw bale. Dissapointing, cause she sure is cute; we were looking forward to some chicks, but we need more like a hole in the head!

Back
Top Bottom