Worried about pipped egg....

BaileyMChicks

Songster
May 8, 2015
Wisconsin
HI. I had bought some D'Uccles from a breeder wanting to downsize on their breeds, and one of the hens was sitting on 2 eggs. They both had developing embryos. So, I stuck them in my incubator and added a few more eggs. Needless to say none of the other seven eggs even started developing. 4 or 5 weren't even fertile, and some I think had gotten too cold when the breeder didn't have time to collect the eggs(they were from a bunch of pullet and cockerels they were growing out, old enough to lay and breed, but the boys weren't doing their job lol). So now I just have my two lil D'Uccles. So, yesterday was lockdown(I saw an internal pip, and I used that as my guideline since I wasn't 100% sure of their age) and the older of the two chicks pipped. It hadn't made much progress, but I went downstairs to sleep. I almost never wake up in the middle of the night, so I kinda rely on my mom to check the humidity at night, since she gets up a lot. When she checked the humidity this morning, it was at 45%. It couldn't have been for too terribly long. Do you think the chick is shrink-wrapped? Should I help in a few hours? It's been like 14-15 hours since first external pip...It has made the pip bigger, but it hasn't been dong much of anything for the last hour....I'm just very worried.

Just thought I would update. I think I got worried too soon. The little guy is chirping away and has made huge progress on his pip. I think it's going to zip soon. I'll update again when it's out. I don't think the humidity getting down kinda low did much. I don't think it's shrink-wrapped. But I'll just have to wait and see.

Yep, I figure to wait at least 24 hours after 1st external pip. Usually they've had time to make progress by then.

Yep, I figure to wait at least 24 hours after 1st external pip. Usually they've had time to make progress by then.
Yeah. I know sometimes it can take over 24 hours, but I guess I just got into worrywart mode when I found out the humidity got down below what I was comfortable with.

Ok, so the chick started zipping(I think), but it can't turn...Was it because the humidity got too low? I don't know whether to help it or not. It's been trying to zip for about a half hour to 45 minutes already. It's like it just won't turn in the egg...I don't know what to do.

Here's a picture. It been like this for about 20 minutes.

Should I help or wait?

I am no expert but people do say to wait quite a while before intervening. Has it been 24 hrs since it first pipped?

It's been about 19. It's been at the same spot in zipping for almost an hour now. It looks the same as in the picture in my previous post.

It has been a while, here is a good video on how to do it safely without hurting the chick. You will have to chip the egg, do NOT break the membrane (the inner white part) Keep it warm and make sure the humdity is up on the incubator. About 65-70% humidity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom