Worried about rabbits out in cold weather

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nikki28, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    We recently purchased three New Zealand's and built a nice big hutch for them each cage has an "open" area for hopping around, eating and normal rabbit stuff and a "nest" area that is closed in except for the entrance hole and a 3" window. it is filled with straw and they have been going in there to sleep. I figured that area would keep them warm but it is supposed to go down to 18 degrees here on Tuesday (it has been around 30 - 35 at night) is there any precautions I should take?

Thank you!
    -Nikki

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hey Nikki! [​IMG] are they used to being outside? how old are they?

3. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Hello! They were being kept in a barn that wasnt well insulated so I imagine it is about the same, but the area was in a lower elevation that is normally about 10 - 20 degrees warmer than Prescott.

The Buck is 4 months old and the does are 2 years. It is 28 right now and when I peeked at them they were hoping around and eating.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i bet they will be fine! just give them lots of hay/straw to sleep in to keep warm...so, are these your meat bunnies?

5. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Great thanks! I can always count on you for reassurance.
    I'll give them extra padding in there.

Yup these will be our meat rabbits. We decided just to stick with rabbits for now and not quail. Hopefully it works out. Are you on Facebook? I put picks up on there tonight.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    no..whats facebook? does that creepo David hang out there...UGH! [​IMG]

7. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
  8. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Rabbits love the cold. If it is to tight ,then they will make dampness with their own breath. Then they will get lung problems. Keep good venilation.No drafts and they will be just fine. It is the heat in the summer you really have to watch for .[​IMG]

9. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:Yes They have been loving the cold! I was worried that it would be too much but they have been having a blast. It doesnt get too hot here so hopefully summer will be easy enough with them. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yep they'll be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by