Worried about rabbits out in cold weather

Nikki28

David Bowie is my co-pilot
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
We recently purchased three New Zealand's and built a nice big hutch for them each cage has an "open" area for hopping around, eating and normal rabbit stuff and a "nest" area that is closed in except for the entrance hole and a 3" window. it is filled with straw and they have been going in there to sleep. I figured that area would keep them warm but it is supposed to go down to 18 degrees here on Tuesday (it has been around 30 - 35 at night) is there any precautions I should take?

Thank you!
-Nikki

Hey Nikki!
frow.gif
are they used to being outside? how old are they?

Hello! They were being kept in a barn that wasnt well insulated so I imagine it is about the same, but the area was in a lower elevation that is normally about 10 - 20 degrees warmer than Prescott.

The Buck is 4 months old and the does are 2 years. It is 28 right now and when I peeked at them they were hoping around and eating.

i bet they will be fine! just give them lots of hay/straw to sleep in to keep warm...so, are these your meat bunnies?

Great thanks! I can always count on you for reassurance.
I'll give them extra padding in there.

Yup these will be our meat rabbits. We decided just to stick with rabbits for now and not quail. Hopefully it works out. Are you on Facebook? I put picks up on there tonight.

Rabbits love the cold. If it is to tight ,then they will make dampness with their own breath. Then they will get lung problems. Keep good venilation.No drafts and they will be just fine. It is the heat in the summer you really have to watch for .
cool.png

Quote:
Yes They have been loving the cold! I was worried that it would be too much but they have been having a blast. It doesnt get too hot here so hopefully summer will be easy enough with them. Thanks!
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom