Worried about returning a chick to mama

Chickmom99

Hatching
Sep 24, 2021
At 2-3 weeks, I took an injured chick to vet for bandaging, but then had to rescue the returned chick from mama who freaked out about the bandage.

After 10 days of chick solitary -no more Limping! I slowly reintroduced the chick. Seemed ok. But Chick was no good at following mama and other 2 chicks anymore. On Day 2 and 3 - It is all by itself during the day avoiding larger hens and mama, but burrows back under her at night (I can’t see in - but I hear 1-2 pained cheaps as this occurs)… but when I check back at night, the chick is happily settled right under mamas breast/chin…. But repeats isolation the next day. Wondering will this get better? Should I remove chick until mama weans the others??

At 2-3 weeks, I took an injured chick to vet for bandaging, but then had to rescue the returned chick from mama who freaked out about the bandage.

After 10 days of chick solitary -no more Limping! I slowly reintroduced the chick. Seemed ok. But Chick was no good at following mama and other 2 chicks anymore. On Day 2 and 3 - It is all by itself during the day avoiding larger hens and mama, but burrows back under her at night (I can’t see in - but I hear 1-2 pained cheaps as this occurs)… but when I check back at night, the chick is happily settled right under mamas breast/chin…. But repeats isolation the next day. Wondering will this get better? Should I remove chick until mama weans the others??
It sounds like she is doing an okay job in the flock on her own. I would just continue to observe and let her work it out.
Does she eat during the day? You may want to put out several little piles of food all over the area for her to go to as the others will chase her away from them. If you have enough of them, she will manage to get enough to eat.
What are you feeding the flock? They should be on chick starter, Flock Raiser or All Flock with a separate container of oyster shell on the side for the active layers.

Ok will keep going. Pretty sure she is eating. Hens spend most of day outside and chick spends most of her day inside the coop where I have 2 waters, a big hen feeder (chicks can’t yet reach) and a wooden crate with a hole that only the chicks can get in (medicated chick starter inside). Although I have seen the big hens trying very hard to stretch their necks in to reach the starter!

Remember chickens are flock animals, if you need to separate the chick bring 1 or 2 siblings with him so he doesn't feel alone. He may die from being separated from the others. Good luck 🤞

Back
Top Bottom