Worried about separating ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by velocityoflove, Sep 29, 2018.

1. velocityoflove

velocityoflove In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Buford, Georgia
    I have 4 indian runner ducks, 1 male and 3 females. When i originally got them, a friend and i agreed that i would raise them until we figure out the males and females and we would split them from there. I know ducks get attached to each other, but i never realized how much until actually having them. Right now they are in with my chickens and i havent had any issues. I am worried that when i go to give him his 2, they wont take the separation well. Any experience with this? Am i just overreacting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    I separated my males and females about two hens about 3 months ago from the drakes at first they were really upset but it could have just been that they were in a different pen. After about 3 days they seemed to have settled in well (the drakes we’re fine and completely forgot about the girls). I only have 3 now the 2 hens and a tiny drake but there happier than ever. Hope this helps c:

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    i Bought my single Ancona When she was 4.5 months old. I took her away from her 2 sisters. I don’t think she even noticed bc she attached herself to my other 3 ducks within 5 mins of getting home. She never got depressed or acted ‘off’. I also talked to the lady I bought her from and she said the 2 sisters were fine also. I think they’ll be fine since you separating into pairs. Are you sure that YOU will be ok??? Any chance you can keep all 4 and tell your friend to order some sexed ducklings?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. velocityoflove

Aug 6, 2014
    Buford, Georgia
    Haha i will be ok as long as i know they will be. I will be able to see them when i stop by from time to time. :)

CrystaBub and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Does this mean your only keeping one female?

6. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Which ever one of you get the pair 1 male 1 female will need to add more ladies unless you already have some. If neither of you do, then seriously consider keeping them. You have the perfect duck/Drake ratio. Most of us would love to be so lucky. I got a male/female pair first then had to add 2 more ladies. It takes a lot of patience to add new ducks later. I wish I had started with 4 that had hatched together.

7. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Oh good question. I just assumed they were splitting into pairs :oops:

8. velocityoflove

Aug 6, 2014
    Buford, Georgia
    I was going to give him a male and female and keep 2 females.

CrystaBub and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:thumbsup as long as one has another they will be fine eventually. My Runners are so bonded with each other they are all for one and one for all!

CrystaBub likes this.
  10. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Can we please see some pics? We love runners :D

Texag87 and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: