Worried about separating ducks

velocityoflove

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Buford, Georgia
I have 4 indian runner ducks, 1 male and 3 females. When i originally got them, a friend and i agreed that i would raise them until we figure out the males and females and we would split them from there. I know ducks get attached to each other, but i never realized how much until actually having them. Right now they are in with my chickens and i havent had any issues. I am worried that when i go to give him his 2, they wont take the separation well. Any experience with this? Am i just overreacting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I separated my males and females about two hens about 3 months ago from the drakes at first they were really upset but it could have just been that they were in a different pen. After about 3 days they seemed to have settled in well (the drakes we’re fine and completely forgot about the girls). I only have 3 now the 2 hens and a tiny drake but there happier than ever. Hope this helps c:

i Bought my single Ancona When she was 4.5 months old. I took her away from her 2 sisters. I don’t think she even noticed bc she attached herself to my other 3 ducks within 5 mins of getting home. She never got depressed or acted ‘off’. I also talked to the lady I bought her from and she said the 2 sisters were fine also. I think they’ll be fine since you separating into pairs. Are you sure that YOU will be ok??? Any chance you can keep all 4 and tell your friend to order some sexed ducklings?

i Bought my single Ancona When she was 4.5 months old. I took her away from her 2 sisters. I don’t think she even noticed bc she attached herself to my other 3 ducks within 5 mins of getting home. She never got depressed or acted ‘off’. I also talked to the lady I bought her from and she said the 2 sisters were fine also. I think they’ll be fine since you separating into pairs. Are you sure that YOU will be ok??? Any chance you can keep all 4 and tell your friend to order some sexed ducklings?
Haha i will be ok as long as i know they will be. I will be able to see them when i stop by from time to time. :)

Which ever one of you get the pair 1 male 1 female will need to add more ladies unless you already have some. If neither of you do, then seriously consider keeping them. You have the perfect duck/Drake ratio. Most of us would love to be so lucky. I got a male/female pair first then had to add 2 more ladies. It takes a lot of patience to add new ducks later. I wish I had started with 4 that had hatched together.

Back
Top Bottom