worried about some of my eggs {UPDATE}

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shellybean40, May 21, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Well, after a LONG night and day, I have 8 seemingly healthy new chicks out of their shells. I lost one who pipped, and then died. I have another that should be breaking free, but just sits there. And I have numerous that are pipped (with the x crack) and nothing else. My humidity has remained at 70%. I am exhausted, going to bed. God is going to have to care for the rest. Good Night!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Well, a big congratulations on your new chicks! [​IMG]
    I do understand that the hatching process is exhausting! I guess it is not as bad as (human) childbirth though! [​IMG]

Good night. Rest well .... you are gonna need energy to take care of all those babies!

3. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I have learned that it can sometimes take as long as 24 hours before those star cracks start to zip. "Patience, Grasshopper." [​IMG]

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hope you woke up to more healthy chicks. However, DO remember that nature always provides more than will ever make it to adulthood. One or two usually die along the way. It is normal. We feel upset, but it is, nonetheless , normal.

We keep sheep too, and every year there are lambs born dead, or born alive and do not make it through the night. It is horrible. Then I look at the healthy lambs and am delighted.

Try to look at the nice, healthy little chicks you have, and give yourself a pat on the back for all the ones that you have helped and still survive. The ones who died were largely too weak to manage outside of the shell and nothing to beat yourself up about. Nature is pretty cruel. Try to learn from any mistakes that you think you may have made, and that's the very best you can do.

Kind Regards
    Sandie

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Good Morning!! I woke up to 6 more babies in the incubator!! And the only bantam egg I had just hatched![​IMG]:jumpy!! this is my first hatch, and I am sooooo happy! I have one more that is pipped, and two eggs that are kind of questionable. I took the dry babies out, put them in their "NICU" brooder and tapped on the other eggs and heard nothing. Should I remove them? or give them more time!! So far, my hatch total is FOURTEEN!! I am very happy with a LG still air incubator! Started with 24 eggs, candled and removed 5 late in the game (quitters). So out of 19, I think that is a great first hatch!! I could not have done it without all of your great advice and wisdom. Thanks so much!!
    Also, one of my black chicks seems to be kind of bald!! Is this normal? She has stripes of red skin showing on her back, and her head is kind of sparse.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Hmmm, I do not know about the bald chick. I have never had one, and never heard of that before.

You have had an excellent hatch! That is wonderful! Good for you! [​IMG]

What did you decide to do with the last eggs?

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Baldy will probably grow her/his down pretty quickly.
    Congrats. on the hatch,
    Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by