1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Worried about the air sack (day 20)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roscoe1982, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Roscoe1982

Roscoe1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Hello

I New to this site and new to hatching chickens.

I currently have 7 hybrid eggs in a Brinsea Eco Mini and they are into day 20 by 18 hours. On the 19th day before lockdown I candled the eggs and they were all moving inside. But after reasearching on the internet I think my air sacks are smaller than they are supposed to be :(. it does not take up a quater of the egg. its more like a 5th maybe smaller.

I have followed everything stated in the manual but i did add kithcen towel (similar to toilet paper) cut to shape on around day 7 for the eggs to sit on. Could this cause problems by absorbing humidity etc.

Hope someone can advise me as I'm so worried i have let the little guys down. I have not heard any chirping and no pips yet :(

Roscoe

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    [quote me="Roscoe1982" url="/t/622400/worried-about-the-air-sack-day-20#post_8287621"]
    Hello

I New to this site and new to hatching chickens.

I currently have 7 hybrid eggs in a Brinsea Eco Mini and they are into day 20 by 18 hours. On the 19th day before lockdown I candled the eggs and they were all moving inside. But after reasearching on the internet I think my air sacks are smaller than they are supposed to be :(. it does not take up a quater of the egg. its more like a 5th maybe smaller.

I have followed everything stated in the manual but i did add kithcen towel (similar to toilet paper) cut to shape on around day 7 for the eggs to sit on. Could this cause problems by absorbing humidity etc.

Hope someone can advise me as I'm so worried i have let the little guys down. I have not heard any chirping and no pips yet :(

Roscoe
    [/quote] Hi there and welcome. Im actually in the same situation as you! This is my first time hatching. I candled yesterday on day 18 and all the airsacks are very small too, ive since read that my humidity was a bit too high! Im on day 19 today and cant here anything either.. I thought hatching chicks was easy lol.. Hope someone helps you here.. Good luck.=)

3. Roscoe1982

Jan 22, 2012
    I Hope there is someone.

Because it's in lockdown I cant open it as it might damage the chics. I have notice condensation around some of the incubator this morning :(

The worst thing is im stuck at work until 10pm.

4. Roscoe1982

Jan 22, 2012
    I Hope there is someone.

Because it's in lockdown I cant open it as it might damage the chics. I have notice condensation around some of the incubator this morning :(

The worst thing is im stuck at work until 10pm.

5. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    You might have to open your vent a bit more to get your humidity down a bit. Theres nothing worse when your at work and your itching to get back home lol.. Ive just reading up a bit more on humidity but since i dont know what mine is its a bit useless! Ive got a brinsea 40 bater and all ive done is gone by the manual. Going to invest in a humidity reader for my next hatch lol.. Ill keep looking for you anyway..let me know how you get on...

6. Roscoe1982

Jan 22, 2012
    I dont think I have vents on mine. It only has 2 little air holes on the skirt and another near the top. I dont want to risk opening it and messing it all up. I think it's down to the big G upstairs. Im praying for them. [​IMG]

7. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Dont worry too much! I know what your going through=) my husband thinks im mad the way im worrying lol he said i read to many books ;) ha ha.. Im getting 12 call duck eggs soon as my chicks hatch (if they do hatch) and i havent got a clue about ducks lol.. Got my fingers crossed for you. Im day 20 tomorrow =D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by