Worried about the cold?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hmmm barring extremes we probably shouldn't be. It's -7C here so 19F and what do i see? my 6mth old duck BATHING in the water bowl that i knocked the ice out of and topped up!

so yeah, obviously *I* needn't worry myself so much about the cold, she was happy as a clam, i OTOH was frozen. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The ducks will let us know how it's going. My runners were not thriving, just surviving, till I set up a place for them that was above freezing. They will go outdoors when it is below freezing, but depending on conditions, and their condtion, they may do well for hours, or perhaps less than an hour.

You ever have trouble with caruncles freezing?

3. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Yeah, the only time I start to worry about the ducks is when it gets into the teens or when the temps have stayed in the 20s for over a week. Even then, they seem to do fine, but I do give them a heat lamp. They don't go under it, but it keeps their water buckets from freezing. Like you said, I think I feel worse for them than they do.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There is a farm near us who has a pond fill of ducks, he usually has runners in this mix.. he leaves them out 24/7 and only on the most nasty of nights brings them in... runners are pretty small body wise though and i would bet it depends on what they are used too.

Freezing no, but i have had it chapped so cracked/bleeding that is why i have Vaseline on hand, i can pick up every duck i own if i have too and will apply on an as need basis. They have access to the barn all day long and i lock them up in the evening i vary the time by the weather, nasty nights they go in earlier ... better nights they are usually still out foraging so i give them some more time. We're dark by 5 and almost loosing light as early as 4:30 now.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have a heated bucket so water is always open in the barn, i think i am going to drag out a bigger heated one for outside as the lower temps means the water outside is freezing.

I did have to use a heat lamp the first winter but i had less ducks and it was the first winter for those ones, now i have held off.. the adults are doing fine, i do worry a touch about the wee ones(6mths and 4mths) but i have one if i need it but the temp is staying much more steady with a larger flock and bigger/older birds... plus i now have almost all my girls(one insists on housing with her drake) housed in the same area so they can dog pile on horrid nights.

I don't worry anymore, i just watch.. i figure the ducks behaviour is my best indicator of there tolerance. [​IMG] that said i was surprised at the bathing beauty the other day lol

6. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    I use black rubber bowls from tractor supply, put them in a trash bag & fill up with hot water. We also have an electric dog/duck water bowl. In PA, I'll have to use it for sure, but not right now.[​IMG]

7. glassgal

glassgal New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Michigan
    From what I understand, ducks are pretty cold hardy. Ours would rather be outside in the cold than in the coop. They stand on one leg and pull the other up near their bodies for warmth and switch when needed. They are very amusing with their heads tucked under wing and standing on one leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by