Worried about the cold!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ntankovich, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ntankovich

ntankovich Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi! I have to RIR hens that are about 8 months old. Wee kept them outside fine so far and temps have been pretty low but it's 12 degrees Fahrenheit tonight. Next week it is going down to -8! This is columbus ohio so I expect cold but not this cold! What should I do?

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    yeah, same temps here and one of mine is going through a molt and I've got the same problem. Running electricity out there isn't very doable for me.

3. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    are they in a coop? mine are in one without heat, I give them plenty of hay and shredded leaves.

4. ntankovich

ntankovich Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Yeah they are in a coop. They have tons of straw. The main draft is what comes through their front door. It's just so dang cold! I couldn't be out in this for more than two minutes! I know they are built for lower temps just worried. Wanted some piece of mind;) I have no electric running out or insulation covering it.

5. Catfish267

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    I think i heard that if you give them heat sometimes then they become reliant on it and if the power goes out or you take it away then they freeze. Kind of like Americans when their air conditioners break, they can't handle the heat because they aren't used to it.

6. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    It is pretty cold here. It is going to get -14 here. I have straw and shelter for them and they seem to be fine. IT is also snowing so yeah :/

7. Catfish267

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    yeah. Bad storm in the northeast and then it gets real cold for the next couple of days

8. kids chicks 6

kids chicks 6 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    So I guess we while all see in the AM if it was to cold. I am not sure either. Raising chickens for Dummies say's they will be fine. we will seee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by