Worried about the heat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blue fire, Jun 9, 2008.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have a PR that seem to be suffering in this heat. She is panting heavily, not moving much, and has not laid any eggs. This is her 2nd year in this weather, and last year she was ok, but as she has grown up she has become a little portly, could that be affecting her heat tolerence? Can you give me a list of what I can do to keep her cool? Sorry if you have already posted about this before.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Can you hook up a fan in the coop? I've got one blowing right on the roost in mine. Also, I've been putting ice in their waterer a couple times a day. Make sure she has some shade to get under. Even though my run is pretty shady, I've put up an old patio umbrella over the watering area and it stays a little cooler. I lashed it to the fence posts so it won't blow away. People have been freezing water in 2 liter bottles and putting those in front of fans. Try putting her in a dog crate and bringing her into the house if it's air conditioned. [​IMG]

Susan

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a fan running in my coop. I've also been feeding cold watermelon to the chickens. I read earlier that several people freeze water in 2 liter bottles and put them in the coop for the hens to sit on. Good luck! It's been miserable here too. [​IMG]

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    The fan helps, but if they are past the point of being hot, like mine were, this is what I did to keep'em cool:

[​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Is she in the shade? in the coop is their nice ventelation? water available? You could put a fan in the coop or put a nice bad of ice water to cool her off make sure she is drinking enough water. Its burining up here!
    Hope she is ok,
    Henry

6. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    She has plenty of water to drink, and there is lots of shade in the yard. Yesterday I filled a bucket with water and put her in there for a few seconds and she seemed to feel better.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by