worried about the weather

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jami63, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jami63

jami63 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    I work nites and I worried because it gets down in the 30's here at nite and my coop was destoyed by the recent hurricane .I have put up a tarp to cut down on the breezes.I have also offered more food.I came home this morning and boy did they all complain to me.I gave them all mealworms because of the high protien count and they settled right down.What can I do to support my birds in cold weather.I am new to guineas and have enjoyed them so much.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. pearlGuinea

pearlGuinea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    Arkansas
    Your guineas will probably do fine in the cold with out shelter for now. A guy up the road from me doesn't give his guineas shelter in all weather and just lets them roost in the trees, and it gets down into the teens in the winter where I am. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, here in CO, we get down to -20 and the guineas roost in an open shed and are out and about in the snow all winter. They're very hardy to the cold.

5. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I'm worried about frostbite on their feet, a friend of mine has a couple that are missing toes. I live up on a mountain and it gets -30 and some years even less. Can they handle that.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Their feet should be fine; they sit on them to keep them warm... Their wattles would be the most likely part to get frostbitten, in all actuality. The moisture from their breath can condense on them and freeze them. Much like a chickens'comb.

7. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    well, pearlguinea thats correct and 100% correct.
    our guineas once roosted on the coop while they were still day 1 to 5 months, and never went back to the coop again. they enjoy roosting on high trees on small braches. from hot summers with heavy rainfalls to late winter,with freezing grounds, none of them have ever got chilled to death. they can tolerate very well same a muscovy duck or a babery turkey or any kind.

even some of the guineahens that has keets can sleep with their 3-5 weeks keets outside of small braches,tucking their keets side to side while roosting on braches.

8. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Today it started raining/snowing again and the tarp blew off the coop. I put them back into the garage and put a heat lamp on too help dry them off. I wont be using the heat lamp anymore so they can adjust to the cold. They all looked like wet cats.

9. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    My guineas hate to be wet. They won't go back in the coop until nightfall but they want to come in our house to get out of the rain.

10. jami63

jami63 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks everyone that takes a load off my mind

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by