worried about this chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happy eggs yard, Apr 20, 2019.

1. happy eggs yard

happy eggs yard In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    hi. I just recently bought new baby chicks. and today I noticed that one of my chicks were pretty still when I stuck my hand in the coop, and so when I grabbed her she was very calm, a little too calm. so I put her back, and when I came back hours later she was still there, in the same spot. so I looked at her again and she looked very calm just as before. when I put her down, she was a little wabbly.so I left her back in the coop and left. now when I came back some hours later her eyes were shut, and she was standing up head toward the ceiling. in the same spot as before. I put my hand in there and she didn't move. she was still breathing though. now she has her eyes closed and she keeps falling over, she is very wabbly, and won't eat or drink she also has her head up and looks like she is gasping for air. she isn't moving much. she is still breathing though. when she breaths it sounds like shes got water in there, or sounds like crackling noises. her eyes are uasally close so she doesn't drink or move much... when I picked her up and she opened her beek I gave her a drop of water. she drank it, so I kept doing that. then she didn't want it any more. she wont eat tho…. im kinda scared for her.

what do I do?????

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your chick is having trouble.

First.. possibly simple failure to thrive. We can't sense what is going on internally and some things don't present until the egg yolk is finished absorbing and the chicks are trying to digest and absorb normal feed.

2nd, double check for pasty butt. A blocked bumm leads to death quickly.

3rd, and unfortunate... the crackling sound means the chick inhaled fluid into the lungs and cannot get enough oxygen. I have never had one of these babes survive after hearing crackling. :( And would anticipate other respiratory issues (as a consequence of the inhaled fluid) IF the somehow did manage to survive. Honestly prognosis is so pore I cull instead of letting them slowly die. If it was crackling when you brought it home you might be able to return it.

:fl

3. happy eggs yard

Apr 20, 2019
    Thank you. I pray that she lives! She is such a sweat heart❤️ It did look like she has a clogged bumm. But when I tried to get it, it seemed as though she was in pain. Do you suggest I keep at it? I held her in hot water to maybe soften it.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is your chick?
    Can you please post some photos of the chick, her vent, her poop and the housing where you are keeping her?

If she has a clogged vent, you will need to get that cleared and cleaned up.
    You can soak her in warm (not hot!) water, use a warm compress or whatever you need to do to get the poop unstuck and cleared off. Gently though, skin tears very easily.
    Apply a little coconut oil to the vent when you get her cleaned up - warm your chick, use a hair dryer to dry her, but don't over heat her.

Once you have her cleaned up, try to get some fluids into her. Take a qtip and dip it in water, press it against her beak so she can take a drop or two of water in at a time. Go slow and let her swallow. If you have some vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench give her 1-2 drops directly 2 times a day. Once you get the chick hydrated, then offer her some wet soupy chick feed.

5. happy eggs yard

Apr 20, 2019
    Hi. Thank you for your help! Unfortunately she died this morning I did soak her in warm water to try to get some of the poop off, and she started giving out slimy stuff not brown. So sad she’s gone. sorry the video is too long to upload thanks for your help tho!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry :hugs

7. happy eggs yard

Apr 20, 2019
    So, as you know the one chick died yesterday morning. But that after noon around 2-3 pm another one of the same breed died, without warning. We thought maybe they had a disease...? But idk
    What do you all think?

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you lost another one.
    Can you provide photos of your brooder setup, the chicks and poop?

How old are these chicks and where did they come from?

9. happy eggs yard

Apr 20, 2019
    The chicks are about a week old I think not for sure tho. We got them from L and M fleet supply

Attached Files:

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How does that water station work?

When you can, provide them with some more space, they need to have room to move completely away from the heat source. Monitor their actions to see if they are overheating. Also take note if they are drinking well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: