Worried about this New England weather. Advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KarenP, Oct 6, 2011.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I was told that chickens can catch pneumonia from going in and out of the cold in the winter, so i wasn't going to heat the coop. I'm starting to get worried because i have 4 chicks that are going to be 5 weeks and ready to go out in the coop. I also have a white crested polish in that coop that i don't think can withstand the cold of winter. I live in New England so i am beginning to worry as the cold winter sets in. I'm beginning to think i should put a heat lamp in that coop. My boyfriend suggested putting hand warmers under the shavings, but i'm afraid they will peck at them and eat the stuff inside which coulld cause poisoning. I also have a bigger coop with pullets that are 4 months old, so i think they will be ok without heat. Any suggestions?

Karen

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I definitely recommend getting a heated waterier at least.
    Those will keep the water from freezing.
    One of the worst things to look out for is their water freezing and them getting dehydrated (go figure right)
    Polish aren't cold hardy because if they get there crest wet they could freeze. If they can keep their crest dry then they should be ok.
    Basically just keep the coop as dry as possible. Prevent it from getting humid or wet.
    Make sure your coop is ventilated but no drafty. Drafts are dangerous to chickens.
    I wouldn't put a heat lamp in there because it makes them very dependent of it.
    They won't be able to acclimate to the temperature or grow in their winter feathers, so if they went outside or the lamp went off they would probably all drop dead.
    I hope some of this helps.
    I live in CT and I've never lost a chicken to the cold.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. hughnews

hughnews Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    we used to live in Farmington ny with a farm LOL we had about13 chickens 1 polish we put a 75 bulb in the coop on a timer the girls loved the light and the heat from it yup the water will freeze good luck

4. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    LOL those polish chickens and their crests!! I'm going to buy her a winter hat!!! She's so darn cute!!

[​IMG]

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:[​IMG]

Polish are really adorable.
    I love my little polish cockerel:
    [​IMG]

6. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    My son named her Billy because he insisted she was a cockeral, boy was he wrong!! She even acts like little girl! What is your Polish's name?

7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:His name is Kabuki because his crest reminded me of a Kabuki Makeup brush lol.
    We actually found him 2 or so months ago sitting in the road, no one claimed him so we kept him.

8. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Cute name, only we girls would name our chickens after make-up!! LOL Who wouldn't claim that cute little thing!! Oh well, their loss, your win!!

9. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:lol right XD

By the time we found him he was sick.
    So i think what may have happened is the previous owners found out he was sick and didn't want the rest of there flock getting it so they let him go.
    Or they found out he was a cockerel and let him go, or maybe both who knows.
    He was still peeping like a chick when we found him so i'm thinking someone raised some chicks and just didn't know what to do with the left over roos and were happy too get rid of him.
    Hes such a cute, sweet, docile little guy. I'm happy we found him before nightfall (don't think a blind chicken would last that long, he barley know cars were going to hit him).
    We took him to the vet when we first found him and hes been fine ever since.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I don't use heat lamps during the winter. The only thing i'll use is a regular bulb for light since it gets dark so early. Otherwise, the silkies get deep shavings to sleep in. I also confine the birds in the winter so they stay warm from eachothers body heat. Never had anybody die from the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by