Worried about week and a half old chicks in coop at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mike001, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mike001

mike001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi all,

I just finished my coop and put my chicks out for the first time. They've been living in a 3'x1.5' tuperware box and they were ecstatic to have all that room to play in. However, I'm worried about the younger chicks. I have 8 chicks that are just over three weeks old but I also have three that are just over a week and a half old (though they are alsmost the size of the big ones!). I have two 250 watt heat lamps about 18 inches off the ground and the coop is 8x4 and insulated, but it's going to get into the 30s tonight.

So far I haven't seen them sleeping so I don't know if they'll be hudling under the lamps. They've been busy running around, jumping, flying, chest bumping, taking dust baths int he corner sand box and looking for the worm treats I toss at them.

Will the younger ones be okay or should I bring them in for the night?

2. Bayhunter

Bayhunter New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Palacios Texas
    I would bring them in. Thats pretty cold for the little ones, of course Im from south texas and it doesnt get too cold down here. Be careful with those lamps, just burned my new coop down. Make certain they are secure.

3. mike001

Apr 6, 2012
    The lamps are hanging from chains and the plug is on the ceiling, if they fall they will either hang by the plugs or unplug themselves.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would bring them back in also...that is awfully cold for little babies :(

5. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    If leaving them outside makes you nervous, then I would bring them in.

6. mike001

Apr 6, 2012
    I went to the coop to bring them in, but it's warmer in there than in my house! And it's already 35 outside. Under the lamps it's probably 95 degrees. And they were all sleeping outside the direct red glow, so I'm guessing it's actually too hot for them right under the lamps. I think I'll leave them!

7. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Mine have all been in the coop for a while now, even the 1 1/2-2 week olds & I've had frost several times. They all have at least their wing feathers & the smaller ones sleep huddled together, the older, bigger ones (6-10 wks old) perch on the roost now but started out huddling in the nesting boxes with the others. I don't have any heat in mine except chicken body heat & they have been fine.

That being said, I'm new to chickens & probably do a lot of stuff wrong...[​IMG]...so if you think they should come in at night then bring them in [​IMG]

8. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Leave them out... they will be fine... They are indoors with TWO huge lamps. They'll sleep where it is warm.

9. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Mine have been outside since the were 1 week old. I had 2 heat lamps and the did fine. In an uninsulated coop they will be fine. And I live in utah night temps were in the high 20 when I put them out.

10. mike001

Apr 6, 2012
    Well, they were perfectly fine. I even had to turn off one of the lamps this morning because it was getting too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by