Worried about week old EE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kemclaughlin, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    We have a week old Easter Egger that we got from the feed store. She is smaller than the others we got her with, but she is getting feathers and is not skinny, just small.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]After we got her, she got pasty, but not particularly badly. I have had to clean it off more than once. Her vent was swollen and a little distended looking and the other chicks were trying to poke at her. We put in a red light instead of white and I put blue on her bottom. She is pooping and is not pasty. Now she seems kind of slow. I last cleaned her bottom the evening before last. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]She seems to be eating and drinking. They are on medicated chick starter and we have a mypetchicken bucket waterer for them. They are in a crate that we turned into a brooder, with pellet bedding. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]None of the other girls are acting sick or injured. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Taking her to a vet is not an option, but we are definitely willing to try and nurse her through it. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]My husband says it looks like maybe a broken leg, like she is limping. She is kind of sitting back on her bottom and off balance, but not in a way that seems neurological. She is trying to sit back against our hands or the wall of the brooder. It's almost like she is in reverse, except that she can and does go forward, but doesn't stand on her own, she sits back. [/FONT]

[​IMG]

She is the little brown girl with the stripe down her back. The black one is an australorp that we purchased at the same time. The buff orpington and the golden sex link to the right are a little older.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a little hard to tell what you're looking at here, but her vent is not pasty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I took a picture of her legs from below and the next picture shows how she is standing.
    [​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Well Unfortunately what I have to say is kind of bad news. That little chick doesn't really look like an easter egger. Looks to me like a bantam of sorts hence she is so much smaller. Sometimes I get a chick like that ....I just make sure they get to eat and drink and if you want to give them some extra energy you could put a little molasses in there water!

3. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    It's okay if she's a bantam, she's sweet and we are kind of attached. I am kind of worried about her balance though. She is using her wings to catch herself when she walks. If she is a bantam, does she need to be separated out?

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    No, separation is not needed. I'm not real sure what to do about the wobble. Besides the sugar water. I might try to splint her legs but that is so hard to do that I might wait a little bit to see if she gets any better.

5. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Can I use maple syrup or regular sugar instead of molasses? If she is not getting enough to eat or drink, could that be causing her to be weak?

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]You should make sure she get's get's enough to eat and drink. That could make her weak if she wasn't. You can use a little bit of sugar-teaspoon or less depending on what you keep water in-and a little pinch of salt. This is an energy lifter and is often given to chicks after stress or shipping.[/FONT]

7. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    If she is going to start getting better from the sugar water, how long would it normally take? We have had chicks before, but never really had a problem. She actually seems to have perked up a little, she seems more feisty. But the other chicks are pecking at her feet and she is still wobbly.

8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    It would take about half hour. Is there something stuck to her feet that the others want?

9. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I don't think so, unless I got some sugar water on her feet.

One of the other chicks ran over her and flipped her over. She just laid there. I put her back on her feet, but I am worried she isn't going to make it.

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Sometimes they don't. Remember that whatever happen's it isn't your fault,your'e doing everything you know to do and if she dies she will die warm full and loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by