worried about winter!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by buckeye lover, Jun 18, 2019.

1. buckeye lover

buckeye lover In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2019
    108_0134.JPG 108_0130 (2).JPG
    I'm worried about feeding "crooked" this winter. We have to put water in her food so she can eat it, I also make her scrambled eggs n yogurt. My query is this...how can I keep her food from freezing this winter, I was thinking she may have to stay on the back porch, but there has to be a better way! Is there some sort of warming bowl that I could get without starting a fire n the coup? Cuz I would really hate fried chicken*
    Thanxs everybody>>> PEACE OUT~

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    drumstick diva likes this.
  2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw QUACK!

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Wow, poor girl. :hugs

Are you worried she’s not eating enough? Or maybe not receiving enough nutrients from feed?

3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    My dad said he used to fix scissor beaks with rubber bands. Loose enough she can open mouth but taught enough it would slowly work the beak back in place.

aliciaFarmer and drumstick diva like this.
  4. buckeye lover

Jun 8, 2019
    Just about her food freezing in the winter!

5. buckeye lover

Jun 8, 2019

6. buckeye lover

Jun 8, 2019
    I wouldn't want to mess with it and hurt her, she eats all day long.

7. buckeye lover

Jun 8, 2019
    Has anyone ever heard of an electric warming bowl?

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    you could use an electric dog bowl, it should do the trick, it is not hot, but keeps the temp just above freezing and designed to be used outdoors

9. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi There.
    Love your pic of crooked, bless her. you can buy diffrent size bowls, with a Thermo base, in which you add hot water in the base, then place her food on top. It
    will keep her food warm up to 5 hours. They are pretty good to be honest. At least
    it will stop the food from freezing over for a few hours. If you google food warmer
    dishes /bowls, you will find where to buy them. They are not expensive either. Hope
    this helps, another thought, that crossed my mind, do you knit at all, or know someone
    who do. As they can knit her a lovely wooly jumper which will help her keep warm, with the bad winters you have. Although i live in UK over here they have a chicken club,
    with you can either buy them, or get free patterns. They are very trendy lol plus a lot
    uses them, and chickens love them too. lol :frow

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I bet chickens look great out in their jumpers. That's a photo I would love to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: