1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried and close to giving up! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by my5hens, May 8, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I had to switch their food again. The store's distributer changed or something, and they just simply wont eat their food! Its crumble stuff. One of them didnt lay an egg today. They look smaller. I dont want my girlies to starve!

UPDATE: I mixed some warm water in with their crumbles this morning and they were on it like white on rice! They loved it! Thank you so much everyone!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For crumbles, you can take a small amount and wet it with water to make a mash.

To tempt them further, you can soak some raisins or treats in it and let them swell up/get soft.

Yumm!!!!

Then once they get the hang of crumbles, maybe they will eat them dry.

3. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Will they eat anything you put out, scratch? veggies? meal worms? I wouldn't be concerned about not laying an egg, mine do not lay eggs everyday. Are they drinking water? I switched mine from crumbles to pellets last week and they were not happy about it. So I mixed it with the crumbles I had left over and now they are fine with it. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    The references say that hens lay on average two days out of three, so don't worry about some missing days.

Chickens are antsy about change - like the previous posters said, mix the crumbles with other things and they'll likely adjust. Likely they won't starve - they're dumb but not that dumb!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by