Worried and Wondering!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kwallace19, May 25, 2016.

1. kwallace19

kwallace19 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Lakewood, WA
    My Coop
    Does my mother in law need a coop?
    I recently moved down here, and she doesn't have one. They just spend the night in the tent barn on some raised boards, or on the ground with the goats.
    My husband said its fine. We are in Pierce County, WA
    Should I talk to her about building one? Or are they fine?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. danielkbrantley

danielkbrantley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    How long has she had the chickens and has she lost them in the past? If she's had them a long time with no problems, I'd suspect all is well as it is. Obviously, building a more secure coop would give added protection, but there may be no need. My grandmother had chickens for many, many years, and they just roosted in the trees. She lived in Oregon at the time.

3. kwallace19

kwallace19 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Lakewood, WA
    My Coop
    She's had them for a little over a year now. But they had a coop in eastern WA,before they moved back here, but she's had chickens here before. They've lost two since September, but our German Shepherd now keeps them away

4. danielkbrantley

danielkbrantley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I'd be interested in other opinions, but I say if the Shepherd is taking care of business, no need for a coop as long as the girls seem comfy and not stressed and are laying well.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think she's been very lucky so far, but bad things will happen as time goes on. Her dog has to sleep sometime, so those birds aren't being guarded 24/7, and will have disasters. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by