Worried blue comb tip

Sweetheat

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
One of my hens has some blue on the tip of her comb. She’s acting completely normal. No wheezing and she’s still running for treats. Her egg production is still the same. I checked her vent and couldn’t see any sign of lice or mites but maybe it’s not obvious? We had a weather change. It’s been 75-80 instead of 100. Is this cause for serious concern? It seemed to pink back up when I picked her up but then just the tip got cyanotic. Not sure what to do...
812B6CB1-D1E0-4AA5-B487-13F6CE9567D8.jpeg

I don't have an idea about this. Hopefully someone else does.

I would think blue combs were a sign of oxygen deficiencies like in human but I'm not sure of this in chickens.

That’s what I was thinking too. It definitely has me worried but idk what to do about it other than watch. She seems so normal. Egg production is still 1 per day. I just found this on an egg of a different hen and wondering if it’s a lice/mite or just a tiny baby roach (we’ve had a bad problem with them in the nest box yuck!!!)
FBBD22A1-A5C1-47D8-BA18-BC9CD4132734.jpeg

You may want to check the flock tonight while they are roosting. You can use a headlamp to check for lice. You would see them easily at night with a headlamp. They hang out by the vent, under the wings, on the chin area.

I would be interested in this too, our Delaware has this same issue every night, the tips of her comb turn blue no matter the temp. She acts normal, the only difference I can find in her from morning when it isn’t happening until afternoon is her crop is full at night (as it should be) I have reluctantly chalked it up to her being either a glutton, or that when full her crop reduces her lung capacity enough that her comb turns blue. We had a vet check her out and she is a perfect weight and free of bugs, we worm on a 3 month schedule and her crop empties and fills on schedule like it normally should, but out of 7 birds she is the only one who has this occur. I look forward to any explanations!

You may want to check the flock tonight while they are roosting. You can use a headlamp to check for lice. You would see them easily at night with a headlamp. They hang out by the vent, under the wings, on the chin area.
Well there was nothing I could see. Is there a trick to looking at wings bc I couldn’t figure it out. The feathers still looked very fluffy and downy in the vent area and I couldn’t see any evidence of bugs. My darker feathered birds it was harder to see but still looked so fluffy and not eaten away or piles of eggs etc. the comb on my BO was less blue today and after I picked her up and cuddled her it pinked back up. It’s so odd. No worms that I can see etc. Shes definitely our biggest hen so far. Maybe she’s got a heart problem? Hopefully it’s not avian flu or something but then I figure the others would be effected too and I don’t see any evidence of respiratory distress of any kind. I gave them some garlic powder and added acv to their water. So frustrating. For now we’re just keeping an eye on it. Not sure if I need to order lice stuff just in case.

Back
Top Bottom