Worried cause your power went out? Check Brinsea's new bator design!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ever freaked out cause your power went out for an hour or two and your temps dropped?

Well check this out:

New for 2012, all of Brinsea's 'Advance' model of incubators will come with an inbuilt cooling function, allowing you to set the heater to switch off automatically for up to SIX hours a day. SIX whole hours of no heat but with the fan still running and the eggs still turning. What the **** are they thinking!?! How cold are those eggs going to be after SIX whole hours? Yet they're so convinced this leads to better hatch rates that they're building it into ALL of their 'Advance' model bators...

Guess it's time for y'all to stop worrying about those silly little power outages now... [​IMG]

Here's the info about it:

http://www.brinsea.co.uk/cooling/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Sounds good to me. Broodies leave the nest for an hour or so at a time and the eggs will cool. I think Brinsea is on the right track there, although I don't think I would set it to the 6-hour cooling period.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Brinsea has lousy customer service. [​IMG] They won't be getting any of my money.

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Surely they have done some serious testing.

5. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Wow! Makes the units very energy efficient too! [​IMG] Wonder why they keep the fan running? Suppose I could put the cheapie eco on a timer, so it clicks off for one hour a day...

very interesting, thanks for posting. [​IMG]

6. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Oh yes, of course they have. They give links to a few serious research papers as well so you can read it all for yourself.

I wasn't suggestin it was a bad idea btw, just being a little bit sarcastic. I just think it's amusing that most people utterly freak out if their bator temp drops by a couple of degrees but here's one of the best manufacturers actually designing temp drops into their bators. Funny old world for sure!

Quote:Pity you've had a bad experience with them. I've always found their customer service to be absolutely top notch. Last year I bought a whole pile of second-hand Brinsea kit and phoned them up with a bunch of serial numbers cause I wanted to find out exactly how old it all was. I explained this to them and even though they knew I hadn't spent any money with them directly a very helpful lady took the time to go through every item with me and look up when it was manufactured and when it was sold. A while later when my SpotCheck thermometer went wonky they replaced it for me straight away. I suppose any company will have one or two incidents which leave people feeling let down but so far Brinsea get full marks from me.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh swell, one more thing they won't fix under warranty! I am still waiting for the State of CA to hear my complaint against them. When they do, hopefully it will result in Brinsea not being allowed to sell products to buyers in CA. [​IMG]

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I have been pricing Sportsman 1502's this morning in anticipation of my upcoming birthday. I am also wondering what I can get for my used Brinseas. Ahh, hindsight, huh?

9. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like I say, it's a pity some people have had a bad experience with them. But this isn't a 'Let's grumble about Brinsea' thread...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by