Worried Chicken Mama

drcrgoddess

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Hi, I'm a new member of BYC and new to chickens too and am already addicted. I have 5 backyard well-loved girls. 3 - 2 year old Lorps and 2 - 1 year old Americaunas. One of my Lorps is not feeling well. First noticed lots of poop stuck to her fluff fethers about 6 weeks ago. She was still laying at that point but isn't anymore. I've dusted her with Sevin5 a couple of times, cleaned the coop, washed her bum nightly, and trimmed off the fluff feathers. Overall her feathers look dull. She's now pretty lethargic, off her feed, and am noticing a more mucousy discharge from her vent. Earlier in the week, her poop looked better, less urates, and no obvious signs of worms. I've been giving them some yoghurt mixed with cooked grain plus probiotics in addition to their organic feed an all the veggies they want to eat. I hope I'm missing something simple because I really don't like the look of her today. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Warmly.

Could very well be. Things do look a little swollen and, since she doesn't have any fluff feathers any more, it seems to be pulsing all the time. Not sure if that is normal or not. Doesn't smell any worse than any other chicken butt. He posture is a little droopy and when she's sitting, her tail is lightly pumping. She doesn't seem swollen but did make some funny squeaks when I dusted her belly like it hit a sore spot. This is my girl that went broody three times last year and refuses to roost, preferring to sit in the corner of the nest box at night. She has an odd bald spot below her ear too. If vent glet, what can I do right now for her. Would a human vaginal cream like Miconazole Nitrate help? Thanks again so much for any insights.

The links I posted should also have treatment options in them.
I would give her a warm not hot or cold bath. Let her soak in it a bit to help loosen anything that is stuck on.
If you need to use a soap to clean her up remember that it will dry her skin out and remove normal oils from the feathers. I would use a baby shampoo if it were mine.
You can add apple cider vinegar to the water 2 Tablespoons per gallon for 3 or four days making it fresh each day then plain water and some probiotics.
Epsom salts can be purchased at most stores with a pharmacy. Walgreens comes to mind for that.

https://hoovesandfeathers.wordpress...gleet-clearing-up-messy-vents-in-laying-hens/

This link has good information and I have seen a few places saying antifungal cream for athletes foot.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice. The first link referenced treatment options that I didn't quite understand but have initiated everything I could gather locally. Collected her poop and will take it to the avian vet on Monday. Was able to tempt her to eat and drink so that's good for today and am hoping to dialogue and bring her in for a once over with the local chicken whisperer tomorrow. It's clear that if I don't figure this out it will ultimately be fatal and am hoping to avoid a chicken funeral with my grand girls. Thank you again for your support and kind words . Will update this thread as needed.

Warmly
Maggie

Back
Top Bottom