Worried chicken momma.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melissak10, Dec 15, 2012.

1. melissak10

melissak10 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    I have a rooster and 4 hens. One of my hens, a buff Orpington, I have noticed, is missing feathers on the back of her head and neck. It looks like she has scabs and some of her skin looks green? Obviously that can't be normal. Any suggestions as to how to help my poor girl? Or anyone know what is wrong? I feel as though the rooster is the culprit for her losing the feathers on the back of her head just not sure why her skin changed color.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'm betting rooster damage all the way around. Bruising and injury in chickens frequently results in green coloration of the injured area. If he is a big and aggressive rooster, 4 hens are probably not enough even though such injuries can happen with a better hen to rooster ratio. If you want her to heal, remove the rooster from the flock for a period of time.

3. melissak10

melissak10 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I have been so worried about her. I had an incident the other day where I saw my rooster attack her and when I went into our coop she flew up on my shoulder. I got her out of the coop and I actually brought her in our house. She is the only one he picks on. I will definitely remove him for a little bit. We have 4 hens. I'm also worried that she could possibly have gapeworm. She looks like she yawns every so often. I've had a chicken before that had it and she pretty much died in my arms. How can you tell for sure if a hen has gapeworm? If she lays eggs can you still eat them?
    I'm really new to raising chickens and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    You said she has scabs on her head? If she does and the green is puss....I would gently try peeling some scab off to see if the area is full of infection.A picture would be really helpful as well if you had one....but I think you need 10 or more posts first....so without a pic, i would say as long as it does not look like an infected wound,follow sourlands advice.

As for the yawning...chickens do yawn....but can you see down her throat?

5. melissak10

melissak10 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    She did have a couple of scabs on the back of her head/ neck but since I got her away from the roost she seems to be doing a lot better. She just looks better all around. She is still missing feathers on the back of her head/neck of course. I hope they grow back soon, she really is a beautiful lady. Her poor comb has a couple of scabs on it tho.
    I haven't been able to look down her throat. I haven't really seen her open her mouth since I got her away from the rooster. I wonder if she was having a reaction to stress.
    Also, I was wondering how to know if chicken eggs aren't good to eat. Besides the water test to see if they float or not. I guess if a chicken is sick, she wouldn't lay eggs right? But is there any other circumstances where I shouldn't consume the eggs?

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I don't consume eggs from a sick hen myself, but normally I only don't eat eggs that are cracked,covered in poo, or if the hen has been medicated. There are withdrawal times for meds and dewormers. Each varies so you would need to research or ask on here to find out for how long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by