Worried chickens not laying normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chquinta, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Chquinta

Chquinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    I have question I have 4 mixed birds that started laying about mid January up until now I have gotten 3-4 eggs a day. This week Sunday I got 3 Monday I got 4 and then Tuesday only 1 egg and as of today I have only gotten 2 eggs. They have usually been very good laying everyday each skipping 1 day so I'm just a little worried. Do you think maybe the time change or could they be sick or is this normal?

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Their cycles take a break sometimes. The cycle between eggs is longer than 24 hrs so they will skip some days once in a while.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Normal.......egg a day is the ultimate, but some birds don't lay every day or the same number of eggs a week every week.

DST doesn't effect the length of day just the clocks..... and chickens don't pay attention to clocks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Ok I just didn't know y all of a sudden I'm not getting 3-4 eggs a day. I thought maybe they are sick or egg bound but all eat and there not going in and out of the boxes so not sure. Maybe the weather and the run is wet from flooding.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I was able to track my pullets laying this year because all 6 lay a different colored egg..and they were smaller than the hens eggs.
    I found the patterns are not real consistent from week to week......except for one hybrid pullet who lays darn near every single day.

6. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Well I have been tracking mine since they started laying. I write it on my calendar everyday which one gave me what I have 2 EE's that sometimes I don't catch which one layer which but I find out the next day. So are they have been laying regularly 3-4 eggs aday. They each will usually take a day off couple of times 2 days but not consecutively. Like I said this week it has changed and I'm just worried as I'm a first time chicken owner.

7. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here's the calendar and this weeks count

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool, keep collecting data, it will teach you what to expect...or not to expect.
    As long as they are eating, drinking, pooping and active they are probably not sick...don't just go by egg count.

9. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Ok so I have found that my 1 RSL hen is not laying at all and the rest of them are laying but not everyday like they use too. She's eating and pooping sort of loose milky white. I don't think she even goes in any nesting boxes. I don't think she is molting since I don't see any feathers and they all just started laying mid January. Our weather has been raining and my whole yard is flooded even the coop they have been on top of shelving these past few days and are able to get to the boxes. Do you think it's the weather.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by