worried @ day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jo-Anne White, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Hi all

Ok so today is day 18 for my chicken eggs in my homemade incubator but lat night we had a power failure & it was out for seven hours!!! I kept the eggs warm as best I could, do you think they might have a chance? Or are they dead?

Thanks Jo

2. Sclark73

Sclark73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Bruce, Wisconson
    All you can do is see it thru and what happens happens. I've had them make it thru the worst circumstances. Personally I would candle them, as I do on lockdown, but many may opt against this. It can't hurt anymore than the power outage. At least you will see if theirs movement in them.

3. Jo-Anne White

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Hi there
    Thank you I candled as you suggested but no movement [​IMG]

later once the eggs had warmed up again I removed them from the egg box I had them in during incubation for lock down & placed them in a tray in the incubator ready for hatching half a hour later all 25 eggs started shaking & rolling about quite vigorously [​IMG]
    I am so pleased now all I have to do is wait for Sunday, [​IMG]

I know that they still might not all hatch but I'm optimistic, Thank you so much for your advise

Jo

4. kmollyhughes

kmollyhughes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Northern Nevada
    I'm in the same boat...but with a broody. She got back on the wrong nest and her eggs were cold when I found them. Put her back on....thank god I have two other broody girls sitting on eggs too. Mine are due Wednesday or Thursday. Good luck on your hatch!! ***fingers crossed****

5. Jo-Anne White

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Thank you & good Luck[​IMG]

6. JohanSureHatch

JohanSureHatch New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Great news! We had a client recently with the same dilemma, as we have quite frequent power outages in Africa, but we have found in the end it is about how well the machine is sealed. We must also remember that in nature the mother hen does not always sit on the eggs and nature has designed them to be quite resilient.

7. Jo-Anne White

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    hi there

Only six out of the twenty eggs hatched, but they are so cute & its my first hatch so I don't mind, really enjoyed the experience.

8. Sclark73

Sclark73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Bruce, Wisconson
    That's not bad considering the circumstances.

9. Jo-Anne White

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by