Worried..!!! Day 20 but still no pip

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Swastik Choudhari, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Its been 20 days my chicken is sitting on eggs...but theres no pip yet...and as its said do not disturb the hen after day 18...so i have also not checked them or candeled them...i just lift her little bit n checked but there is no pip...so are the chicks alive..?? Will the eggs hatch..??

2. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The 21 days is just an average and ambient temperatures can speed up or delay a hatch slightly. There's definitely no need for worry on day 20. :thumbsup

3. ROSIEWOLF1956

ROSIEWOLF1956 Hatching

Jul 19, 2016
    I've had eggs hatch on days 18-25.. because of course they are not all laid on the same day. :) Can't have a rooster in my small town (big city rules apply here--grr), but I do have a drake, so I've got a 7-egg incubator I'm experimenting with. Was still cold outside when I put some eggs in, so I've swapped em out with warmer ones that were laid on warmer days. In 3 weeks, will be fun to figure out how many of the 7 actually hatch. :)

Swastik Choudhari and Skipper81 like this.
  4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Agreed- also be sure you're counting starting after the first 24hrs - so if you gave her eggs on a Sunday at 10pm, Day 1 is Monday at 10pm and so on. 20 days is nothing to be concerned with. If you're feeling nosy and have a baby monitor of some sort, you can leave it near her nest to listen for the first peeps. Also one of my favorite hatching articles is posted below. I'm not in any way suggesting that your hatch is in need of any variety of human assistance- but Sally Sunshine put together a terrific article that gives excellent detail about the entire hatching process which might bring you some peace of mind whilst you brood over your broody. =)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

Swastik Choudhari and Skipper81 like this.
  5. Swastik Choudhari

Feb 23, 2018
    Okay then i think i shall have pip by tomorrow or the next day...i m just so so eager to see chicks :celebrate i think thats why i n getting nosy about them:fl

chickens really likes this.
  6. Skipper81

Skipper81 " For my yoke is easy and my burden is light "

Feb 11, 2018
    Montana
    I'm with you there I'm staring at my eggs all day. It's day 20 for me also. Whats the freaking hold up !!!:he

Swastik Choudhari likes this.
  7. Swastik Choudhari

Feb 23, 2018
    Yepp...i dont have patience to see that fluffy little chickies:jumpy

Skipper81 likes this.

8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Songster

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Don't know which is worse- watching eggs in the incubator ... or the hen.

Skipper81 and Swastik Choudhari like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by