Worried duck mom

Duckmom22

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2019
Hi everyone I have a pekin drake and he has had a limp for over a year now I believe it may have been due to unknown injury. At that time He saw a vet and was given an antibiotic just in case but it didn’t seem to have an affect. He still managed to limp around and has maintained an appetite a month ago he saw the vet for his eye and again they checked his foot no cuts or anything and didn’t seem painful at touch. But it seems as if now it got worse For the past two weeks he does fall at times and doesn’t really walk for too long before sitting back down.. surgery is not an option as it may not even help. He does still eat (all flock) but they get peas and rice for a treat which he eats more of . does anyone have advice for me.. I truly care for him and his duck wife too. Thank you God bless

Last edited:
Any chance of getting a picture of his legs maybe lay him on his back stretch his legs out so we can see both and get an idea of swelling? Could be something going on in his hip if his leg isn’t swollen or hot anywhere. Did the vet do X-ray? Sorry didn’t know you are a new member my phone doesn’t show it. :welcome

Last edited:
Any chance of getting a picture of his legs maybe lay him on his back stretch his legs out so we can see both and get an idea of swelling? Could be something going on in his hip if his leg isn’t swollen or hot anywhere. Did the vet do X-ray? Sorry didn’t know you are a new member my phone doesn’t show it. :welcome
Thank you so much this is such a wonderful community I am going to take a picture now I felt his legs and they are not hot and the dr had felt them about a month ago and didn’t feel anything abnormal.. I will be back with a pic in two minutes

Here is a pic of the leg of my guy

Attachments

• 519877DD-E03C-48F4-9A7D-277DF37B1DC5.png
    519877DD-E03C-48F4-9A7D-277DF37B1DC5.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 19
Here is a pic of the leg again .. i notice now that it is shaking considerably now when he stands.. ugh I’m worried I called the vet but he has yet to answer me

Attachments

• 5509D8BB-9908-40F5-9B62-C430F45E0A91.png
    5509D8BB-9908-40F5-9B62-C430F45E0A91.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Leg looks normal is it. Compared to the other one? Maybe he injured his hip and it never healed correctly.? Just really hard to know with out xrays. A back injury can even cause a limp if a nerve is inflamed. You might want to ask the vet about an inflammatory and pain meds Meloxicam is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom