Worried duck mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckmom22, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    Hi everyone I have a pekin drake and he has had a limp for over a year now I believe it may have been due to unknown injury. At that time He saw a vet and was given an antibiotic just in case but it didn’t seem to have an affect. He still managed to limp around and has maintained an appetite a month ago he saw the vet for his eye and again they checked his foot no cuts or anything and didn’t seem painful at touch. But it seems as if now it got worse For the past two weeks he does fall at times and doesn’t really walk for too long before sitting back down.. surgery is not an option as it may not even help. He does still eat (all flock) but they get peas and rice for a treat which he eats more of . does anyone have advice for me.. I truly care for him and his duck wife too. Thank you God bless

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Cheychey222 and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Any chance of getting a picture of his legs maybe lay him on his back stretch his legs out so we can see both and get an idea of swelling? Could be something going on in his hip if his leg isn’t swollen or hot anywhere. Did the vet do X-ray? Sorry didn’t know you are a new member my phone doesn’t show it. :welcome

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Suedan, quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  3. HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Crowing

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    @Duckmom22 - Welcome to BYC firstly! :welcome

So glad you're concerned for your dear duck friend. @Miss Lydia touched on some great questions, and photos of the area in question may help as well. I hope others will weigh in to help!

4. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    Thank you so much this is such a wonderful community I am going to take a picture now I felt his legs and they are not hot and the dr had felt them about a month ago and didn’t feel anything abnormal.. I will be back with a pic in two minutes

5. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019

quackiemama likes this.
  6. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    How do I post a video on here I apologize for the lack of computer skills.. I have a video and his leg is shaking for some reason :( worried

7. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    Here is a pic of the leg of my guy

Attached Files:

8. Duckmom22

Duckmom22 In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    Here is a pic of the leg again .. i notice now that it is shaking considerably now when he stands.. ugh I’m worried I called the vet but he has yet to answer me

Attached Files:

9. Miss Lydia

Leg looks normal is it. Compared to the other one? Maybe he injured his hip and it never healed correctly.? Just really hard to know with out xrays. A back injury can even cause a limp if a nerve is inflamed. You might want to ask the vet about an inflammatory and pain meds Meloxicam is a good one.

Suedan, quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Is that leg larger like swelling?

quackiemama likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: