Worried Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickentimmy, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Chickentimmy

Chickentimmy Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Hello,
    I have two eggs, a white and a blue egg under my broody hen. I'm worried they won't hatch. Today is day 18, but they've been covered in poop for the week or so. It's also been really hot in my greenhouse where the broody is so I'm worried. Also, I took the eggs out from under her to look at them today. I know the white egg was alive as of yesterday. I only know the blue one is developing because I see the air cell growing. If anyone could put my fears to rest, that would be great. Thanks

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    There's a good chance they'll hatch- it's only day 18. If you could carefully wipe some of the poop off it would be better. It makes it easier for the chicks to pip and hatch. Also, in a hot greenhouse, it would also be good if you sprayed the eggs regularly. You shouldn't be too worried- I'm sure they'll be fine.
    I love pics if they hatch!

-Jet

3. Chickentimmy

May 31, 2016

Sorry that was a typo. It was day 19, now it's 20. I took them out from under her and I'm worried. Also, the poop is fried and caked on. I tried peeling and scraping off (gently, of course) but it was pretty much futile.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There's nothing you can do but wait, but I'd rethink having any birds in a greenhouse for fear of heat exhaustion or cooking the embryos. Also, an air cell is NOT an indication of development in eggs. A non fertile egg will have a growing air cell. There is no relevance between air cells and fertilization or development.

5. Chickentimmy

May 31, 2016
    How do I know it's fertile then? It's dark blue so I can't see anything. It's only got really dark and I can now only see the air cell.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sometimes with the dark shelled eggs, you really can't tell until they hatch or you give up. If it doesn't hatch by day 22, I'd candle and look for an internal pip in the air cell. When they internally pip you can usually see a shadow of the beak up in the air cell. If the egg has gotten darker that's generally a good sign it's growing. Unless it smells bad, then it's usually bacteria filled and rotting.

7. Chickentimmy

May 31, 2016
    I couldn't help myself and I candled. The white egg started hatching already. The blue egg's air cell is almost completely dark now with the shadow moving. It's alive! This was my first confirmation of a chick in there since I started. Here's a pick of the two under Lolly, my Silkie mix. [​IMG]

8. Chickentimmy

May 31, 2016
    So one hatched and is looking healthy. The blue egg pipped this morning. He's a picture of the baby. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Great!

10. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    That's great. That chick is so cute! I'm really pleased for you :)

-Jet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by