Worried-Help

Tinted

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Kentucky
My new Roman Tufted female gosling appears to be gasping. She ate some food and I believe it has somehow become stuck in her throat, though she has access to clean water and has been drinking like mad. She is the weakest of the 3 and looks to be in distress. Is there anything I can do for her? Please help, I am not sure if this is simply "new mom syndrome" or really something wrong.

Check her nostrils. Are they open? Can you see through one nostril out the other side of her bill (that's how it should be)? Often they will gasp if their nostrils get plugged, which is why they need water deep enough to submerge their bills.

Goslings just don't get sick. Rarely. And this early on, you'd have to wonder about a congenital deformity, if she doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Is she pooping? Find a way to keep her a little separate so you can see if she poops. Check her bum to see if she has dried poop stuck there.

Put some ACV in the water and a little sugar or molasses. I sure hope it passes, whatever it is
sad.png
Keep us informed.

If something is in her throat you can dislodge it with the eraser side of a pencil.

Do you feed your food moist or floating? Is it mash or crumbles? I heard mash can make them choke.

Back
Top Bottom